55 tank stocking

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
I have a 55 gallon tank with only a few small catfish in it currently and was wondering what top swimmers you guys would recomend. My favorite fish are catfish so I am pretty clueless when it comes to other tropical fish. I do not care about size (as long as it is happy in a 55) or if they are schooling or not. I just want some interesting fish in the middle and top of my tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 55 gallon tank with only a few small catfish in it currently and was wondering what top swimmers you guys would recomend. My favorite fish are catfish so I am pretty clueless when it comes to other tropical fish. I do not care about size (as long as it is happy in a 55) or if they are schooling or not. I just want some interesting fish in the middle and top of my tank.

Welcome aboard

What specie of Catfish do you have in the 55 gallon?

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Since you like catfish how about glass catfish?
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/2519/ghost-glass-cat?pcatid=2519&c=830+836+2519
Or perhaps false glass catfish?
https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/422913/false-glass-catfish-group-of-3
Other ideas are as follows
blue gourami
pearl gourami
dwarf gourami
honey gourami
african butterfly fish
angelfish
neon tetra
emperor tetra
red eye tetra
There's too many fish to list, I could literally spend 6 hours typing and I still wouldn't have all of the fish that could go into a 55 gallon. Is there anything particular you're looking for in a fish? Schooling fish, loner, bigger fish, nano fish, aggressive fish, peaceful fish, odd ball, cichlid, colorful, dull fish, predatory fish, there's just so many different categories.

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
I would prefer a fish that wasn't so aggresive he would irritate my other fish and maybe a bigger fish(like 5-7 inch) but im open to anything if there is smaller fish that you really enjoyed i would check them out to.

And for the species of catfish i have its
Albino Corydoras Aeneus
Albino Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus
Chaetostoma formosae

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
7 inches is a bit big in a 55 but 5 inches is the perfect size. How about convict cichlids? As long as you don't get a male and female they're a decent fish. If you get a breeding pair well then... There's stories on this site about them killing fish 3 times their size.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
How about a bunch of livebearers like swordtails? They swim all over the tank, and if you get a few they will breed and some babies will probably survive.
A lot of good suggestions in fishhead's first post. I would stick with those tho, convict cichlids are actually one of the most aggressive pound for pound, likely to pick on other fish

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Perhaps I've been misinformed about convict cichlids so I wouldn't chance it. Just ignore my convict suggestion then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store