Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I agree with Dan's suggestions.
It will be hard to keep any other cichlids in a 75with a salvini. I have found them a very aggressive species once they mature.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would also agree with Dan and Stanz. A community in a 75 with a salvini will be difficult when the fish is an adult. You could try going the route of keeping similarly aggressive fish with the salvini, like convicts and hericthys deppi. But, with a setup like that you are almost guaranteed conflicts, and will have to shuffle fish around to get it to work. More difficult than it sounds in the long run, and a lot of headaches most likely. Would be good to keep another tank running as a place to put "refugees" who are getting beaten up.

Personally, I think either a south American tank like dan suggests, or perhaps a colony of amatitlania or thoricthys species with some swordtails, would be much easier to pull off, and overall would be a more relaxing aquarium to own. If you want to have many species, the south American cichlids are more tolerant of each other in general, and you could do a few of the smaller species, likely with few problems. If you are ok with a group of the same species, you will get to see their group behavior, which is pretty interesting, and could do small central American species. Group of 4 or 5 would be ok for this tank size IMO. My tanks like this, have been my favorite to sit and watch. Some species you could do would be panamensis, nanoluteus, sajica, h. multispinosa, Honduran red points, firemouths (or any thoricthys except maybe maculippinis)
panamensis
DSC_8572.JPG
and new growouts, thoricthys pasionis and t. irregularis
555.jpg

Reactions: fishhead0103666
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store