75G Oscar Tank

FishKid0978

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hello Everyone,
I have recently got a 75g/280l tank and I would love to put a Oscar in it. Would it be ok to put a small Oscar in with 4 firemouth cichlids and 2 pictus catfish
Thank you all so much

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
You say "small oscar" like it's not going to grow into a 14" monster eventually... 75 is definitely too small. 4 firemouths with the picgus could work though, provided there's enough space for the FMs to get away / hide from each other if there are any territory disputes.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You've got to realise what that fish will be like in 18 months. It won't be a happy environment for the fish, potentially causing stress and disease. Plus you'll be chasing your tail all over keeping up with water changes.

FishKid0978

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2018
You've got to realise what that fish will be like in 18 months. It won't be a happy environment for the fish, potentially causing stress and disease. Plus you'll be chasing your tail all over keeping up with water changes.
Okay, At the moment i only have 1 firemouth but I really would like the pictus. Are there any other so to say bigger fish that could go with that combo

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Firemouths work better in groups, you can get a good sized group in a 75G. I once had 3 together and they were always fighting but once I upped the group to 6 thy all got along. They are a cool fish to keep and watch, especially if the tank is set up properly for them. I don't see why you couldn't have a pictus in with them too, maybe even 2 or 3 if you wanted to push it a bit.
It depends how large you want the other fish , 75G are a bit too narrow for big fish. Maybe you could get away with a jack Dempsey but blue acaras would Be a better choice even though they are South American, not central like the firemouths.

FishKid0978

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2018
Firemouths work better in groups, you can get a good sized group in a 75G. I once had 3 together and they were always fighting but once I upped the group to 6 thy all got along. They are a cool fish to keep and watch, especially if the tank is set up properly for them. I don't see why you couldn't have a pictus in with them too, maybe even 2 or 3 if you wanted to push it a bit.
It depends how large you want the other fish , 75G are a bit too narrow for big fish. Maybe you could get away with a jack Dempsey but blue acaras would Be a better choice even though they are South American, not central like the firemouths.
I was looking at the Jack Dempsey, do u think it would go well in a tank with a few firemouths and a pictus?

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I was looking at the Jack Dempsey, do u think it would go well in a tank with a few firemouths and a pictus?
I've never had a JD before, it's probably possible but I wouldn't do it personally. If I had your tank I'd get some more firemouths and a pictus or 3 and maybe a few mollies or swordtails. That also would be stretching things. Its your tank so try it with the jack if you really want to. It would probably be ok for a while then go to hell once the fish got bigger. The only way to really know or learn is to try it as long as you aren't being cruel or doing something you know won't work.
I've got to the stage where I don't want hassle with tanks or try to push things to the max. Like most of us I've tried lots of things I was advised against and learnt the hard way but if you have an extra tank or could rehome something then it's possibly worth a try but like I said, personally I wouldn't.

mastiffsrule

Exodon
MFK Member
May 6, 2020
I agree with more firemouths. I have 9 with 5 green swordtails in a 75 and there is lots of activity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store