90g setup+filtration.

-Oscarmon-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
USA
Before I continue the setup of this tank, I have a few inquires.

The first is filtration. I want 10x or more turnover running with surface skimming. I already have an Fx4.
As the second filter I was thinking of an AC110, which should work just fine. However I have never had the experience of drilling or plumbing a sump. I want that experience.

So here's where I get a bit confused. I originally had the idea of a trickle tower followed with a bubble trap leading to the return pump. Then back on Ofish, the folks recommended just using filter socks with a refugium where I could stick the heater etc. The second Idea is appealing to me only because I can add in Humic substances (long explanation from kmuda back on Ofish).

What do you guys think as far as filtration? I don't want to overload anyone so I'm going to wait before asking about substrate and silicones.

Here's how far I got on the tank itself:IMG_20181227_130803767.jpg
The guy before me tried to reseal a leak without removing the old sealant :headshake

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Depending on your stock an FX4 and an AC 110 would be plenty of filtration if you really do want a sump and you want to drill a bottom of a tank I sure suggest a good check valve to avoid flooding personally I would drill for an overflow and then have a bubble trap going into the socks for your sump if you're going that direction

Reactions: -Oscarmon-

-Oscarmon-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
USA
Thanks guys. I only have room for a 20gallon tank (high) as a sump. If that helps.

Also, about the glass, I do believe the bottom panel is tempered. I was planning on drilling the side although I'm not sure whether the glass is non-tempered in those locations.

Note: I did do the sunglasses trick as well as the knock on glass trick. I can only assume that the back and side panels are non-tempered though.

Does this help with the situation?IMG_20181227_125929527.jpg
This was on the bottom panel. Lol, took me 2 days to find it.

Any threads on moving beds I can take a look at? I'm taking this into consideration too.

-Oscarmon-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
USA
Yes, I've looked into them. I just hate how they run off a siphon. Power outages are common in my area.

Drilling shouldn't be too scary anyways. The tank, stand, and light all came for $100.
I'm planning an selling the light for $100, so it's like getting a free tank+stand.

If it shatters, I'll have to either buy another one or replace the panel.
Not too bad, right? :flamed:

Reactions: celebrist

aae0130

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Why not two Seachem Tidal 110’s? You get 10x and surface skimming without the risk of drilling and flooding. You would be up and running in 10 minutes. Maintenance would be a breeze.
I know a sump is a more serious filtration kit but do you really need that level of complication on a 90?

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
D Doc-Fish doesn't like any seachem products, but I agree that the more complicated a tank is, the more things there are than can and will go wrong.

aae0130

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
Who is doc-fish? And why doesn’t he like Seachem Products? Bad experience?
AquaClear makes a 110 size also but it doesn’t have the skimming feature. Pumps in those are a tad higher and the op could achieve 11x flow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store