a filter that keeps everyone happy

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The OP wants to use a sand substrate so I say no to the under gravel filter option.

Properly installed and maintained power filters (HOB) and canister filters should not leak though I do understand your parents concern.

A canister filter could also be placed inside another container such as a kitty litter box or storage container and then you could add a water alarm normally used to alert you to a water leak on the floor.

Reactions: TheReefer

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I still think the OP has to explain to his parents how running air tubing into a tank can cause a "leak" just like anything else.

Like said above, the only true internal option with no hoses/tubes running out of the tank are power heads with sponge filters on the inlets. They're going to take up a lot of footprint, but it's a viable option.

Reactions: tlindsey

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
OP wants to use a sand substrate so I say no to the under gravel filter option
Hello; One way to use sand with UGF or to just avoid the anaerobic gas problem of fine sands is to get larger sand particles. A way I have done this is to get some construction sand ( the last I got was $20 per ton about 9 years ago). I have built a sieve of a wood frame and screening material or a colander might work or any such material with the "correct" size holes.
I would dry sift the sand with the purpose to get rid of the fine stuff. I would do this even if I was not after the slightly larger particles as it is the fine dust that is such a pain in a tank.. The wood framed sieve can be made to give a desired range of sand particles by the choice of screen wire material.

If the desired screen size is not commercially available I would try to modify by using overlapping layers. For example screen material with 1/4 inch openings is common enough and by overlapping two sheets some smaller sieve hole size may be had. Once enough of the somewhat larger sized sand particles is had then this should work fine on a UGF.

I also think some stone places sell small rounded creek stones and that may be another source of small but not too small stones.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Powerhead powered Hamburg Matten filters (HMF), powerhead powered sponge filters and internal corner power filters are quiet, and do not leak. The HMF would be the best filtration and the easiest to care for, but the corner filter is likely the most attractive. The powerhead powered sponge is a sort of a compromise. Air powered filter work well, are cheap, use very little electricity but can "leak" by backsiphoning, and tend to be noisy.

Reactions: tlindsey and dan518

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Air powered filter work well, are cheap, use very little electricity but can "leak" by backsiphoning, and tend to be noisy.
Hello; I have had both issues with an air pump and air operated filters. I have solved them in different ways.
There are anti siphon valves that can be used on air lines. These are essentially one way valves so the siphon cannot happen. The more common way I deal with the potential of a siphon is to make a loop of air hose higher than the top of a tank. This breaks the siphon also. At least I have use such a setup for decades with the power going off plenty often.

Air pump noise can be a tough one. The culprit is that the air pumps have a 60 cycle vibration. I have an air pump right now running my QT on a kitchen counter. ( I am a bachelor in my own home so I can do such). I put the sponge base of a sponge filter under it and it is quiet.

Air pumps can be wrapped in sound absorbing stuff but two things need to be kept in mind. One is that the pump needs to be able to draw enough air so the wrap needs to allow for that. Another is the pump does make some heat so the wrap might shorten the life of the pump. I use this method less than any other.

I have hung the air pumps so they do not touch any surfaces. This is the more common method I use. Rubber bands work fine except they eventually give out and break. The small bungee chords last a bit longer.

I sometimes just make a loop in the power chord and hang a pump that way. Not necessarily the quietest but often quiet enough. My current main pump running three tanks is in the basement hanging on it's power chord with a long air line running up thru a hole in the floor. I used some air line of the sort used by folks who are on oxygen tanks. This stuff is a bit more resistant to ballooning so I do not lose air that way. One note if this hose is used being that the inner part of this has little ribs ( I think so is cannot be pinched closed easy). I used a small Dremel tool to remove enough of these ribs so I can use regular aquarium pump fittings.

There likely are other ways to deal with both issues but these are some I have used.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
As said already, HMF or powerhead driven sponge filters, or both are best options for OP.

I've posted this before. Here's my Aquaclear powerhead powering two sponge filters.
View attachment 1348235
That's a great color of gravel mix for hiding junk between gravel vacs!

I do a similar mix of black and natural for my oscar and severum tank.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
That's a great color of gravel mix for hiding junk between gravel vacs!

I do a similar mix of black and natural for my oscar and severum tank.
I never thought about that, but come to think of it, the detritus really isn't noticeable except by the fake plant on one end, where the current brings a lot of uneaten food. Generally, the gravel does hide it and I okay notice it when vacuuming.

I bought it in the mi90s. LFS said it was the cheapest option for my tank at the time.

In the future, I plan on using Caribsea Torpedo Beach for a future big tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store