a filter that keeps everyone happy

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Hello; One way to use sand with UGF or to just avoid the anaerobic gas problem of fine sands is to get larger sand particles. A way I have done this is to get some construction sand ( the last I got was $20 per ton about 9 years ago). I have built a sieve of a wood frame and screening material or a colander might work or any such material with the "correct" size holes.
I would dry sift the sand with the purpose to get rid of the fine stuff. I would do this even if I was not after the slightly larger particles as it is the fine dust that is such a pain in a tank.. The wood framed sieve can be made to give a desired range of sand particles by the choice of screen wire material.

If the desired screen size is not commercially available I would try to modify by using overlapping layers. For example screen material with 1/4 inch openings is common enough and by overlapping two sheets some smaller sieve hole size may be had. Once enough of the somewhat larger sized sand particles is had then this should work fine on a UGF.

I also think some stone places sell small rounded creek stones and that may be another source of small but not too small stones.
You can order coarse sand that is already graded:

Reactions: Zanzag

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Go with a coarse sand and a R-UGF(maybe even a powerhead on both or multiple lift tubes). Just lay stainless bug screening on top and wrap around the sides of the UGF plate. Maybe even nylon screening would work. Sponges on the intake sides and it should handle a lot.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
I have an FX4 on a 75g and it works greats. A well maintained and engineered cannister is a safe move. I have a lot of big display tanks in my house in areas with very nice flooring and furniture. You would never know i change as much water a week as I do thru out my house. Find your groove and a system that protects your home. Ps- always keep a rag on your shoulder when maintaining.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I would personally run 2 AquaClear 110 hang-on-backs. Chances of them leaking externally is about as rare as air tubing siphoning out water.
Not true. AC is the most leak vulnerable HOB because you have to unhook the motor to clean the impeller. Overtime, the O ring will fail and leak. Also, if your box is not leveled, the clogged up foam can pop up and lean on one side to drip. Cartridge style HOB is much safer.

Air hose siphoning out water is actually quite common, and can drain the tank over time of absence. The instruction tells you to place the air pump above the tank and make a loop of the air hose, but most people ignore it discounting the power of a tiny air hose. It has happened to me repeatedly when one hose slipped off from a gang valve creating a venturi effect siphoning water out of another hose. So sponge and undergravel filters are far from leak proof.

Of course, nothing is as flood vulnerable as canister filter with long pressurized external plumbing, O rings and clamps, all can fail and drain the tank over night.

The safest filters are internal filters driven by power head as there is no external plumbing. Cartridge style HOBs is next safe with a small chance of drip if the box is not set up right, like tilting one side or not fitting the rim.

Your biggest concern for flooding may not be your filters but water change. It's easy to over fill or drop the siphon tube, and make a mess. When I fill my tank, I turn on my oven timer to warn me of imminent filling by estimating the fill up rate. It's easy to get distracted due to a phone call or something trivial.

Reactions: celebrist

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Carpet or not makes no difference if the big tank is on second floor. Flooding can damage any flooring, drywall, and underlining plywood or girders indiscriminantly.

I have a 75 and a 125 in my living room and foyer, which I do 75% WC weekly. So my first, second and third priority is to prevent flooding. I won’t trust canister or sump system with external plumbing, and cartridge style HOB is the only filter I trust. It takes a long time to fill big tanks so I can’t watch it every minute, so I rely on and always turn on the timer to warn me during every filling.

2018DD00-346D-4DE3-89E8-9C002B1666A5.jpeg

Reactions: islandguy11

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Quick suggestion. How about getting the largest tote that will fit underneath the tank that you can find. Place a canister filter inside the tote. If it ever did leak you will have enough time to notice and fix the problem before any damage.

Reactions: islandguy11

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Won’t work, even if your tote is as large as your tank. What if the leak occurs while you are sleeping or away from home, or your return hose falls off. The only safeguard is no external plumbing, no external clamps or O ring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store