a filter that keeps everyone happy

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Interesting re. leak risk/expectation in factory "off the shelf" canisters.
i've only used pressurized (gravity) canisters since undergrad (~25yrs). I've never had a leak in anything but my home-made chemical drum refits, which I can't ever get replacement O-rings for... or at least ones that fit.

Reactions: celebrist

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I ran Fluval canisters with my discus pair for over 5 years, zero leaks ... but had an AC110 fail catastrophically.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
The hole is an anti siphon vent. The location should be a couple inches below high water level to account for evaporation loss during vacation. The container ought to be large enough to hold the volume of water above the vent. In other words, you are setting up the canister as if it were a sump system. The idea is not new, adopted by some alert aquarists, and ought to be standard operation protocol for canister users. It’s much safer operation, but not full proof because the hose can still come off by accident or knocked off cat, dog or kids.

Not new is true, but found someone was concerned about the safety of canister filters and so the anti siphon vent came to my mind.
Couple of inches?
I am sure you recommend that at tanks with no lids?
Otherwise, one inch or even less is sufficient in my experience.

Reactions: adamsfishes

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Not new is true, but found someone was concerned about the safety of canister filters and so the anti siphon vent came to my mind.
Couple of inches?
I am sure you recommend that at tanks with no lids?
Otherwise, one inch or even less is sufficient in my experience.
Water will drop by evaporation. In my humid Northeast, a lidded tank can drop 1/2 inch per week in winter when the heat is on. If you allow the water level to drop below the vent, you run the risk of the canister running dry. So preparing for a 2 inch drop in 3 week vacation provides sufficient factor of safety in my region.

I can’t speak for the dryer Southwest where the evaporation rate is faster. Take a look at the sump system design in your region on where the intake level typically is as a guide for the vent position. Bear in mind that an open sump system will evaporate faster than a closed canister system. You can adjust the canister vent position when you are going away which is a flexibility over the fixed sump intake position.

Reactions: GermanDude

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
So much, indeed?
Surely depends on water temperature, surface area and how close your lid fits.
Never did( or let it be done by someone else) no WC for longer than a week, but I would have noticed half an inch less.
So we made different experiences.
Thanks for sharing yours!

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
You and tiger15 are the ONLY ones speaking against the ac line of filters. Just stop nobody agrees with you.
You haven’t been reading. Neither is safe. 110 has the O ring and popped up foam that can leak and sponge filter has the air hose that can fall off and drip.

Last edited:

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Over 45 years of tropical fish I have tried all types of filters. I have come to the conclusion that none are foolproof, and that foolishness of the owner is the main cause of spillage.

I am running all closed sump systems now (5 and setting up the 6th soon) except just foam filters on the 5g bettas.

After lots of experiments with sumps I am convinced they are the best.
They are as safe as the design and construction, but the design considerations are NOT trivial.
And safe construction is a matter of experience. You understand the weak links and take extra care.

What is best for a novice? Almost anything else. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store