A very beautiful video of the underappreciated pink Ramshorn snail

The Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
www.youtube.com
The ramshorn snail is often seen as an aquarium pest that people want to avoid. However, they only pose a problem in an aquarium that is unbalanced. When the aquarist adds too much food to the tank, the ramshorn snails take advantage of the abundance and breed at an alarming rate. Population explosions like this cannot be blamed on the snail, but on the owner.

The pink ramshorn snail, in particular is very attractive and graceful. I use them as a clean up crew to consume uneaten food in all of my tanks. They are also great in fry tanks for the same purpose. Their droppings also produce a small amount of infusoria which the fry will eat.

Watch this high definition video and gain a new respect and appreciation for this graceful aquarium "menace".

However, once you put these snails into your tank, it's hard to get rid of them entirely.

https://youtu.be/XcCRxUoDXxo

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Nature Is beautiful, so many fine details of even the simplest animals often get over looked. Thanks for posting.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I used to keep striped and brown ramshorns,I have not had a pink one yet,I wonder if I add mineral pigments to their foods could I get them to have colored shells?

The Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
www.youtube.com
Their pink color is due to their blood. The shells of pink ramshorn snails are actually clear. I think they may actually be albino !!!! They look pink due to their blood.
Ramshorn snails are unusual mollusks because their blood contains the iron-containing protein hemoglobin, which is excellent for carrying oxygen. This molecule is also the primary component of human red blood cells. As a result of their own hemoglobin, ramshorn snail bodies are usually reddish. Who knew !!!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store