New Jersey
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
< 50 ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi Everyone, my Acara is showing a really bad pop eye, the first day when i noticed, it was not that bad, i move it to a quarantine tank like 3 hours later, and was showing the cornea a little blurry and red areas.
Since last Friday I'm treating him with Melafix, like 3 tablespoons of freshwater salt, both from API in a 10 Gal aquarium, at 78.8 F with a slow filter. I use 5ml every day since them. Is eating a little, and I haven't made water changes yet.

Any recommendations?

Do you think he will recover?

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-04 at 12.55.59 PM.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
First sorry about your acara :(

Does the QT tank have fresh water? Like did you dilute some of the nitrates? I'd get them down to under 5ppm in the QT tank.

Do you have any methylene blue?

Epsom salts would help to drain some of the excess fluid. You can use aqua salt, epsom salts and mblue all at the same time FYI

If the popeye is due to aeromonas bacteria, Melafix won't do much for it, Pimafix may have some effect.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d suggest some maracyn2. Keep the water clean.

AlexCR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2013
New Jersey
I have used the methylene could you suggest on dose? I'll make a 25% water change right now.

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
Ok mblue will kill your cycle, so forget about the established BB or temporarily remove the media from the filter and just keep the floss and water movement going.

It's 1ml per 10 gallons. 1/3 water change every other day for 10 days.

Mblue boosts the immune, allows more oxygen to the gills, destroys bacteria and aids with tissue healing. It's a good emergency 'med'.

If the QT tank is a small volume, i'd change out more than 25%, but it is a good start. All meds work better with less organic matter. The fresher the water the better when using meds.

FYI some meds interact with Prime water conditioner so I always wait 1hr after dosing Prime to dose meds.

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have used the methylene could you suggest on dose? I'll make a 25% water change right now.
Wouldn’t recommend it for popeye.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Once its cured, you may want to re-evaluate your routine.
Your nitrate level is quite high, indicting the tank has excess nutrients that are stressful and create condition that favor bacteria that cause disease.
A 30 to 40 % water change once every two weeks is hardly what I consider healthy, if it were me I'd be doing that routine at least once per week , if not more.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
The eye is most likely not salvageable. I would find a vet and have it enucleated. Might get some antibiotics too depending on what they think.

<50 ppm nitrate isn't nearly enough to cause any problems.

Once its cured, you may want to re-evaluate your routine.
Your nitrate level is quite high, indicting the tank has excess nutrients that are stressful and create condition that favor bacteria that cause disease.

This guy has an irrational fixation on nitrate. This is what happens when you listen to him:

AlexCR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2013
New Jersey
I have a 75 GL with a FX5 filter. I never had nitrites nor nitrates. The Acara is too shy and always is hiding behind the wood, I think he hit the eye and get infected, all the other fishes are really healthy, shining and hungry the whole day, If the water conditions were poor, I will notice some other symptoms in the rest of the community.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
With all respect, I do not believe it is possible for anybody to have 0 (zero) nitrates all the time, unless you have 100% constant replacement of water at all times. So, something seems off when evaluating conditions in the tank.

Reactions: AlexCR
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store