Acclimating my new polypterus?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Unless they arrive really cold just add them to the aquarium. When adding new fish to an aquarium it's not much different than doing a water change. Wild caught exempt.

Reactions: PredatorPiqued

PredatorPiqued

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
Maine
The only problem with a drip acclimation is the possibility of ammonia poisoning. You need something to detoxify or absorb the ammonia. As oxygen hits the water pH will increase causing the ammonia built up in the shipping water to become more toxic. Neutrilze the ammonia and you'll be fine to drip acclimate.
any tips on what you would suggest to neutralize the amonia

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Prime is what we use at the lfs I work at. There is also a sponge available not sure of the name of it though that absorbs the ammonia. Prime works great as it binds the ammonia making nontoxic.

Reactions: Hendre

PredatorPiqued

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
Maine
Prime is what we use at the lfs I work at. There is also a sponge available not sure of the name of it though that absorbs the ammonia. Prime works great as it binds the ammonia making nontoxic.
How much would you add to a small body of water like that? Like a couple drops maybe?? Honestly I may be facing some trouble as the shipper shipped him USPS on monday and I just checked the tracking number and it's not looking like the guy will be here till the 11th. I'm devastated for him. What are the odds a 9 inch ornate will make it about 5 days.....

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
How much would you add to a small body of water like that? Like a couple drops maybe?? Honestly I may be facing some trouble as the shipper shipped him USPS on monday and I just checked the tracking number and it's not looking like the guy will be here till the 11th. I'm devastated for him. What are the odds a 9 inch ornate will make it about 5 days.....
Yes a few drops. We use a pipette that i think holds like a ml maybe 2. Depends on the size of the bag and how much air is in it and temp of coarse.

Reactions: PredatorPiqued

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
The only problem with a drip acclimation is the possibility of ammonia poisoning. You need something to detoxify or absorb the ammonia. As oxygen hits the water pH will increase causing the ammonia built up in the shipping water to become more toxic. Neutrilze the ammonia and you'll be fine to drip acclimate.

If it was bagged with pure oxygen then levels in the bag are probably still higher than atmospheric levels. So when the bag is opened, oxygen levels will decrease.

How does oxygen affect pH anyway?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
If the shipper used a breather bag it might be ok. ?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If it was bagged with pure oxygen then levels in the bag are probably still higher than atmospheric levels. So when the bag is opened, oxygen levels will decrease.

How does oxygen affect pH anyway?
Well co2 will be created by the poly breathing and the oxygen will be depleted by the poly breathing correct?
Co2 will cause pH to drop. pH dropping is technically a good thing because at lower pH ammonia is less toxic. But when the bag is opened co2 will leave and new oxygen will enter causing the pH of the water to rise and if you are adding tank water that will most likely cause pH to rise. Ammonia is more toxic at higher ph. Did the shipper use pure oxygen? I don't know do you? Did the shipper use a breather bag? I don't know do you? My first statement on the first page was to temp acclimate and release the poly did you read that? This was my reply to continued questions. It's all proven effective and accurate. I don't have nor will I go looking and posting journal/ scientific papers on the subject. This is from personal experience at 2 different lfs that are very busy and very good at not only getting fish fresh and salt and corals to not only survive shipping and acclimation but to thrive while at the stores. I'm sure if you look into it you'll see the science behind it is correct but I'll not hand feed it to you. I've seen your posts you like to stir up trouble. I'm not incorrect in these procedures or like I said the science behind the reasons for it.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store