Acrylic seam repair/ assessment

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
Looks like that seam is going to fail, I’d drain it
200 gallons of water can really do some damage. Seeing that this is in your house. Not to mention if the tank did fail someone could be hurt if standing near by.

Johnpeck1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2021
crazing happens for several reasons the reason i asked about the topside is to see how it was braced. As something is niggling at me that the bracing is only coming from the sides where the wood is at. OP does not want to empty the tank- hence us having to make sure theres a brace happening on the topside- it looks like it was custom made for that wall. If its urgent to empty it out or risk more time if theres no brace ill recommend it to be emptied out before it gives out ASAP yea the panels are not sealed together smooth its separating and its matter of time before it just break loose on that section
Holy Moley! All these replys sound devastating. The tank was built for that wall and I dont think its a repair because the house was built in 99 and i moved in 2004. Lepisosteus, what exactly would you like a picture of. The top is acrylic attached to all sides... flat back and curved rounded front like a capital letter "D". There are only the 2 rods vertical in each corner. I cant thank you guys enough for all the help. I feel like crying though.

1632076030536664266303551820940.jpg

Johnpeck1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2021
Lepisosteus,
Theres also reinforcement rod around the entire base of the bottom.
Thanks!

16320826845656572924417077760137.jpg

Johnpeck1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2021
crazing happens for several reasons the reason i asked about the topside is to see how it was braced. As something is niggling at me that the bracing is only coming from the sides where the wood is at. OP does not want to empty the tank- hence us having to make sure theres a brace happening on the topside- it looks like it was custom made for that wall. If its urgent to empty it out or risk more time if theres no brace ill recommend it to be emptied out before it gives out ASAP yea the panels are not sealed together smooth its separating and its matter of time before it just break loose on that section
Drownedfishonfire,
My apologies, i replied to your request for a pic in this thread but asked Lepisosteus for help by mistake. Could you please look at the pics i podted and tell me what you think. The top is acrylic seamed along the whole tank and there is bracing along the bottom.
Thanks

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
My theory why it is happening is from one picture angle anything built into that walls as they can move over time so might be the case with in wall units (I am from the northern climate where my walls can expand/shrink shift/move in the summer/wintertime to my frustration as new homeowner learning how older houses works)

So its a bull nose style tank If it curves into a D ? Thats kind out of my experience range as im used to rectangular tanks

I am not confident you can do this tank safely even seeing cracks on the topside With bull nose just every WC you are doing is causing it to flex in and out- but its just on borrowed time we dont have the picture of the tank as a whole unit anyways

Like Lepisosteus Lepisosteus said the seam is already separated where is white thats a red flag do you have the company info who custom made this?

Johnpeck1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2021
Yes its a bullnose. Its built in, i guess. Sitting agsinst the wall on a frame built with 2x8s and then flush against a window-like hole in the wall. No , i have no idea who made it. Im in Central NJ, i think it was a company in nyc. The tanks over 20 yrs old.
So what are my options? This is a nightmare!

16320967835712403708901965748409.jpg

16320969904433208544291273651075.jpg

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Wow that’s a nice tank but that seam looks super sketchy. I wouldn’t be comfortable with that at all. The best thing is to contact a professional acrylic tank manufacturer and get expert advice rather than some hobbyists online. The only thing is, they would likely not want to take on a project like that and take liability on a refurbished tank. As much as you’d like to save that tank, water damage is no joke

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Best thing is to start saving money for a replacement as Im not even sure if its the same tank im seeing. Get a professional opinion they can see why its happening and adjust(repair if possible)

this is not a bull nose its a normal tank some manufacturers make it like that that has two angles curved out in the front two corners

Johnpeck1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2021
So a guy came out. His acrylic guy said he could run a L-shaped acrylic rod over the existing rod.
He guesstimated a new acrylic tank would be $5 thousand. Thats keeping the old cabinetry which they would have to be pretty exactly measured to fit the curve.
I dont know...

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store