Acrylic seam repair/ assessment

Johnpeck1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2021
wednesday13 wednesday13
Thanks bro!!! Sooo, i measured the existing rod with callipers. I got a few different measurements but it seems like 9.2 mm square from tank wall to edge of existing rod. What size square rod would you use to fit over it? 3/4 inch? And would you cut 9.3 mm right angle out to make room for glue and still hit tank wall?
And now that the guy who said he could get me the new rods has stopped answering me, who sells and "routs" square rods. Any ideas?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
wednesday13 wednesday13
Thanks bro!!! Sooo, i measured the existing rod with callipers. I got a few different measurements but it seems like 9.2 mm square from tank wall to edge of existing rod. What size square rod would you use to fit over it? 3/4 inch? And would you cut 9.3 mm right angle out to make room for glue and still hit tank wall?
And now that the guy who said he could get me the new rods has stopped answering me, who sells and "routs" square rods. Any ideas?
3/4” should do u… acrylic cuts just like wood… not terrible at all to router it out urself…i use regular bits for wood. orrrr u can maybe do 2 rods that meet in the middle to cover up the old… another “idea” is to use a thin piece of 1/4” acrylic vertical that spans over the existing rod at a 45 degree angle… then u can basically mix up 40 and fill in the entire void behind the thin sheet with solid liquid acrylic encapsulating the old rod lol… i did this on my 500g i had no help to move. It essentially makes a “beveled” seam look… hope u understand the last idea. It might b the easiest for u. U can kinda take the small acrylic corner piece in with #16 or solvent then fill up the entire thing with 40 behind the sheet. All depends on ur lid tho. I actually had to drill a hole in the top of the tank to fill up the new seam with 40…

Johnpeck1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2021
I understand.... I think the L rod is more my speed. The fillet method sounds the best but I can't wrestle this tank up on its side to pour it in by myself
Would you go bigger than 3/4 inch rod to catch more of the wall of the tank? That little bit of weldon between the rods is going to hold the tank together? Oh, if im meauring the existing Rod at 9.2 mm Square how much should I take out of the new rod to leave room for the weld on?

The aquarium guy who said he would "fix" it just called to tell me he spoke to a few acrylic guys and they basically said no one in the country would touch my tank and take on the responsibility. He said consensus was that just draining it might pop the seam from flexing/ unflexing. . Now I'm scared ****less. I can't have 200 gallons of water in my living room floor.
Maybe I should be messaging you these questions and give everyone on this thread an ear rest! Thanks for all your time and for the psychiatric help your providing!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I understand.... I think the L rod is more my speed. The fillet method sounds the best but I can't wrestle this tank up on its side to pour it in by myself
Would you go bigger than 3/4 inch rod to catch more of the wall of the tank? That little bit of weldon between the rods is going to hold the tank together? Oh, if im meauring the existing Rod at 9.2 mm Square how much should I take out of the new rod to leave room for the weld on?

The aquarium guy who said he would "fix" it just called to tell me he spoke to a few acrylic guys and they basically said no one in the country would touch my tank and take on the responsibility. He said consensus was that just draining it might pop the seam from flexing/ unflexing. . Now I'm scared ****less. I can't have 200 gallons of water in my living room floor.
Maybe I should be messaging you these questions and give everyone on this thread an ear rest! Thanks for all your time and for the psychiatric help your providing!
All good man… thread might help someone else who reads it with a similar issue… makes sense anyone with a business might b afraid for liability reasons… or like ive said earlier they also probably dont know any better. Ive ordered weld on 40 through acrylic shops who had no idea what it even was. My local shop now uses #42 (pre measured 40 that mixes when applied with a special gun) to build large displays for museums… every other glue they tried/sold things built with failed over time… so yes “a little bit of 40” will most definitely hold 1 seam together. It goes a long way. U can honestly use 2 rods on either side of whatever’s in there to repair it also. Just think of it as “seams” u now have 2 since the existing rod failed. As long as u reseal both of them again the tank will hold. Its holding right now as we talk about it full and running, and that shows u the strength of acrylic alone. Ive repaired much worse holding back double/triple the gallons… about anything is possible with acrylic. As for routering out the L and space to leave… have the gap cut slightly larger than the rod thats in there. Doesnt have to even be precise. Whatever amt the glue fills in will hold 1/16-1/8 to 1/4” even. Gotta remember that sheet is also being held in place by the top and bottom also. Ur more so just “re sealing it”… if it were gonna “pop” it would have already lol… very very very rarely will an acrylic tank just explode. It would have had to been made wrong from the start… really wrong lol… like the wrong glue, or material and if that were the case, again it would have let go already.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
EC57F038-7C15-4C22-98FA-FE3B8E91E65E.jpeg
Example of just 2 rods and the areas that really need to be resealed…ur making 2 new seams to replace one… it becomes stronger this way regardless. The outside “cap” of the full L isnt doing much more. Water cant get through the rod thats in there… only behind it. 40 will fuse it all together np… either way will work L or 2 rods. Everyone is afraid of things theyve never done or dont know about… including people who “claim” to make tanks ??. U dont know for sure until u try. 40 has more uses than just aquariums also, it adheres to multiple materials at different strengths… even steel and epdm pond liner. Says this right in the material data sheets. No1 takes the time to read these days. U can slap a piece of corner stock aluminum or steel on the outside with 40 and sleep fine at night… im sure a tank mfg’s head would spin because its just not common or commonly known about. They make 20-30-40’ tanks with 40 by butt joining sheets on end with a little 1/4” gap of glue alone…Its chemical components are almost identical to acrylic itself which is also a “resin” really. Its cast into sheets. Todays tank mfg are lazy and cheap ?… the old timers built tanks with 40 and did crazy things with it. I have a 500gal dble bull nose thats made with 14 different pieces of acrylic all laminated and glued together in ridiculous ways lol… its an easy 40yrs old and still holding… to boot its made with 3/8 and 1/2” acrylic. Id guess whoever ur talking to is young and honestly just doesnt know whats possible. If u need some ideas or reassurance check out “fish story aquarium and rescue” on you tube. I taught him how to use 40 and the things he learned to do with it truely shows whats possible. Tanks made of “infinity” pieces and 40 ? and were talkin 25,000 gallon range… hes joined tanks together in crazy ways, joined acrylic to pond liner and made a 14k gallon out of endless pieces, laminations and patches. The chit works lol…

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh

No please keep this thread going. I am learning about all this and following along as I am just about to get into a project that could be similar to this.

Johnpeck1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2021
wednesday13 wednesday13
Ok...i ordered the rods and weldon 40. Wont be in til next week. When u get a chance can you give me an idea about what might be helpful in how to mix the product, gloves, brushes and how bad my house is going to smell. Did i read its best to refrigerate the weldon 40? Anything that will help. Thanks again!
And give us an idea how fishing is going!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
wednesday13 wednesday13
Ok...i ordered the rods and weldon 40. Wont be in til next week. When u get a chance can you give me an idea about what might be helpful in how to mix the product, gloves, brushes and how bad my house is going to smell. Did i read its best to refrigerate the weldon 40? Anything that will help. Thanks again!
And give us an idea how fishing is going!
Exellent! 1 step closer my man ?… u can use a gram scale to measure out glue/hardener or convert the amounts using metal measuring spoons and the cheap measuring/mixing cups used for paint. Either way works pretty well. The mixing ratio is (20:1) i believe sooo… example 100 grams of glue ud need 5 grams of hardener. Keep it simple work with numbers that are easy like 100:5… 200:10… 50:2.5 and so on. If ur doing 2 rods dont try to do both at once. Be patient take what time u have… it sets up in 15-20min so plan ur steps first. Anything u mix in or use like a brush will most likely be trashed after it sets so get enough for 2 mixes, maybe an extra just to be safe. It can be peeled out of plastic mixing containers once dried and wiped off ur measuring spoons before it sets up. Numbers were never my strong suit, but u can convert grams to milliliters then to table spoons for example to get the amounts u need and use. Id estimate 50 grams would be a good amt for one rod… probably too much but if u got a pint kit ull have way more than u need anyway so 2 batches of 50 grams/milliliters will leave u with most of the pint. Better to have too much than not enough once u slap it on the rod and stick it on… u got 1 shot to do it… I use a gram scale these days for mixing my silicones for molding and its pretty easy… in my glue pouring days i always used milliters, measuring cups and spoons just fine tho. The smell is bad i cant deny that lol… open windows, run a fan… escape to fresh air afterwards. My wife almost left me one time for pouring almost a gallon in 1 day indoors many many moons ago ????. If u have a family, send em on a day trip lol. Wear a respirator if u have one. At the least tie a shirt/bandana around ur face orrrr put ur “mask” on i know everyones got those handy now. It will b the worst when ur leaning over the tank working with it…ive been trapped inside tanks using it and went to space ??… if possible mix in ur bathroom with exhaust fan or even outside. That will help a bit. Keep a fan on u and or the tank aswell. Might sounds crazy but like with welding drinking milk before hand can help and a pro tip is eat a tylenol before hand…seriously it works. Now that ive scared ya a bit ? it wont b too bad. Ur using a very small amt. as ive said ive poured up to a gallon in one day before and thats where u really gotta b careful. Refrigeration is not necessary ive never done or heard of that.

As for fishing…and buisness… ive been swamped this month… never enough time in the day across the board… i had a good outing lastweek on my original “PikeSnak” hooking 13 pike in 3 hrs and banked 5. All males 24-28” but a fun day. I have a new bait to test tommorow. Its my 2nd revision of it so im hoping for positive results this round ?… i do not settle for anything that does not perform how i intend or work well to drive the fish absolutely nuts ??… its not easy… up to 5 100% original baits i make from scratch in house that are Fish catching machines lol… my “team” in wisconsin put up 2 good musky last week on one of my baits also so things r goin well… just never enough time to keep up with new designs, testing, sales, shipping, “the day job” and regular life… how it goes tho. If ur interested in seeing my “day to day” CreekRat adventures, trials and tribulations give me a follow on instagram @CreekPikerLures ?…

Don’t b nervous… the math is prob the hardest part of mixing. Once u do it itell b easy… ill leave ya with a teaser pic of my outing last week… since ya asked ??… nothing to “write home about” but from one fish hobby to the next… it will always run deep in my veins…
#DieTrying
Formerly known as Wednesday13
@CreekPikerLures
Russ
ECAC5A5D-14C1-43C5-863F-593F2B7151F6.jpeg

Johnpeck1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2021
wednesday13 wednesday13
Youre instagram page is unbelievable!!! Thats some life youre living! I never saw such cool fish! My 15 y/o son who thinks hes a fisherman because he catches a few small black drum and pufferfish was blown away. What can I say... dad has cool friends! But i thought the carvings were most amazing. You are a talented artist bro! @creekpikerlures
So here is what Im gonna do with the tank. Please correct/ instruct as needed.
Draining the water, fish and rock into an old little tykes plastic baby pool i have and using 2 hang on filters with the media from the tank. Gonna dry and clean the tank. Scuff up old rod, new rod and tank corners. Nitrile gloves and vapor respirator plus fans. Mask tape the tank along where the new rod is going to catch any glue that pushes out when i push in new rod. With a small paint brush Im going to brush glue upthe corners of tank and over old rod. Brush glue on inside of new rod. Put in new rod but dont push too hard. Wipe off excess. How soon can i remove the mask tape and should i remove mask tape before i tape the rod in place? Leave the tape on the new rod?
Ok...the mixing process. 20:1 which is 100:5. You said 50 grams will do it. But lets say 100 grams for easy rounding. 100 grams =100 ml ? 100ml needs 5 ml of hardener. 5ml = 1 tespoon. So, if i can get a cup that measures 100 ml, i just add 1 teaspoon of hardener? Please check my math. Im a teacher. They included a tongue depressor...how long or well do i have to mix it?
Lastly, im attaching a pic of the other seams. Theres existing rod running along entire bottom. Should i just brush over them with glue as a "caulk" or leave well enough alone. Will it just run off or actually harden in place. I know youre going to say to do it. (Im more of a dont eff with it kind of guy).
Youre the best, my man! Cant thank you enough! Rods being picked up end of the week. Feel like this thread is legendary!!!

Screenshot_20211005-131810_Gallery.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store