Advice about fin rot please

Nemo99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Hi, I am needing some advice I have a 220 litre tank with four fancy goldfish and one pictus catfish in it one of the goldfish unbeknownst to me had fin rot when it was introduced and I have been struggling with it for close to a month now have been treating with pimafix and melafix and the goldfish seem to slowly be getting better but now my pictus catfish is all red at the base of his fins and seems to be breathing hard and not his usual self is there anything I can do aside from continuing to treat the tank?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
kno4te kno4te tlindsey tlindsey These two people should be able to help you

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

What are your water parameters?
Suggest adding more oxygen and would treat with salt but do a water change first.
Keep water in pristine condition. Please use half dosage of salt because of Pictus being scale less.

Reactions: kno4te

Nemo99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Welcome aboard

What are your water parameters?
Suggest adding more oxygen and would treat with salt but do a water change first.
Keep water in pristine condition. Please use half dosage of salt because of Pictus being scale less.
Thankyou, The water parameters are good no ammonia nitrates nitrites they're all good ph is 7 I will do another water change, while they're sick I'm just worried about them stressing too much

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thankyou, The water parameters are good no ammonia nitrates nitrites they're all good ph is 7 I will do another water change, while they're sick I'm just worried about them stressing too much

You should have nitrate's if aquarium is Cycled.

Reactions: kno4te

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Tom, how long has the tank been set up with water in it? and were the fish put in soon after?
One other thing, Pictus cats are a shoaling species and prefer to live in a group, 4 or 5, without that group dynamic they "can" become stressed and prone to disease.
Whether or not the cat can adapt the goldfish as part of that dynamic is the question.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would consider adding some bacteria in a bottle to ur tank, checking ur tank daily and make sure ur using a updated liquid test kit.

Reactions: tlindsey

Nemo99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2019
Sorry should have explained more the nitrates are at a good level the tank has been set up with fish in it for 3 months now and before that it was cycling without any fish for 2 months. The catfish is worse today and has two patches of sorts on his belly that kind of look like they're peeling or something I'm not sure, and the base of his tail is now really red and inflamed. I dont have another tank is there a way that I can make him less stressed if that's part of the problem?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
My feeling and suggestion would be to separate the fish. Place the pictus in a qt tank and treat for underlying infection, septicemia. Try some triple sulfa. Keep the water clean. Can add a little salt 1tsp per, once. Best of luck and I hope it pulls through.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store