Advice on Longnose Gar

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
I've been working on a (coldwater/temperate) pond. I'd say that by the time I'm done digging out the width, it'll be at least 1000 gallons. Now, that brings me to my next point. I've been thinking about catching one or two Longnose Gars for it at some point in the relatively near future, because they're rare in the aquarium trade and I don't want to put down $60 on a florida or spotted gar that could get eaten by a raccoon or bird for all I know, or, maybe even worse, buy an alligator gar that's inevitably going to outgrow my system. Longnoses are a totally native (or, in other words free) species so they should do fine with the temperature and seasonal changes.

My questions regard mostly tankmates and predators.

I live in Virginia, so birds, raccoons, weasels, and other similar animals are common threats. Luckily, I don't really have to worry about herons because I'm not exactly in an area where they would often be. I'm wondering what kind of protection I should use against predators, and what a larger gar would be able to fend off.

As for "tank"mates, I've seen gar being kept with koi and larger goldfish, but I'm just wondering how big the koi would need to be to coexist with the gar, because if the gar is too small and skinny, it could get sucked up like spaghetti, but if the koi are too small, they could easily get ripped to shreds. I'm probably also going to throw in some native species, such as sunfish (mainly for dither purposes, in certain areas it's hard to take one step without finding 10 bluegills,) catfish, possibly bass on the smaller side and maybe bowfin or eels if I can find any.

As for the pond, it'll likely be done within the next couple of weeks. I've already dug out the length and depth, so all I really need to do now is work out the width, get a liner and some aeration, and then fill it up.

So, generally, I'm just looking for advice on the species.

Edit: Also, on a sliiiiiiggghtttlllyy different note, how long could a baby longnose gar live in a 1.01 brackish tank (55 gallons) before having to be moved?

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
If I were you I would get at least 2 gar for your pond. I have a longnose and when I added my florida to the tank they seemed to really enjoy each others company, they are always next to one another whether swimming or laying around. I would also suggest to definitely stock with sunfish for the gar to eat. It would be a good idea to put sunfish in first to establish a healthy colony.
If you are worried about predators then the bigger the gar the better, try to get ones bigger than 2 feet. If you wanna grow them out and try to pellet train at a young age they could stay in your 55 until they get around 8-10 inches, just make sure they do not have problems turning around because a 55 gal is only 12 inches deep. Good luck on your pond! xenacanth9 xenacanth9

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
Thank you very much! I will keep your advice in mind. A raccoon has just recently started living in and out of my backyard and I haven't been able to get it out so I'm going to have to be even more vigilant when it comes to size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store