African Arowana

Nelsonthefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
Can be picky at first, start with blackworms and then offer other foods periodically, as they age they'll become less picky[/QUOTE
Can be picky at first, start with blackworms and then offer other foods periodically, as they age they'll become less picky
Thank you! I don’t have blackworms atm. However, i do have tubiflex, mysis shrimp, and live red worms. I know he probably won’t eat for me today, but do you think he’d take to any of those?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They are filter feeders, especially when young. Green waters, small live or frozen foods and the likes should be ideal to keep him fed and happy :)

Also feed often! They are said to not pack on much fat till they get larger so don't let him starve!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
They are filter feeders, especially when young. Green waters, small live or frozen foods and the likes should be ideal to keep him fed and happy :)

Also feed often! They are said to not pack on much fat till they get larger so don't let him starve!
^
This

Reactions: Nelsonthefishguy

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Just as Hendre says.

Their throat is tiny but they take pellets and fish pieces and mouth them, and spit out, and pick up again breaking off small bits that they can swallow.

They need to be fed unbelievably heavy until about 1.5' or they will die. I've proved it to myself. At this size, several days of a fast can easily be lethal for them.

They do have an enormous appetite, it's the feed size that usually presents a problem or takes time for them to consume... and it can get messy too.

Nelsonthefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
Just as Hendre says.

Their throat is tiny but they take pellets and fish pieces and mouth them, and spit out, and pick up again breaking off small bits that they can swallow.

They need to be fed unbelievably heavy until about 1.5' or they will die. I've proved it to myself. At this size, several days of a fast can easily be lethal for them.

They do have an enormous appetite, it's the feed size that usually presents a problem or takes time for them to consume... and it can get messy too.
Thank you for the reply. Got him to about 6 inches and ended up trading him in :/ his behavior became bullish and he ended up spooking my silver aro in the middle of the night... I left just enough of a gap where I feed them and found my silver dead on the floor not far from that spot. Although it was partially my fault, I made the tough decision to let him go. He was an awesome fish, but his hyperactivity became problematic for my other stock. Wouldn’t mind owning another later down the road!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
If you enjoyed him then I would make plans for another tank down the road but plan it all around him.

Reactions: Nelsonthefishguy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store