African Arowana

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for the reply. Got him to about 6 inches and ended up trading him in :/ his behavior became bullish and he ended up spooking my silver aro in the middle of the night... I left just enough of a gap where I feed them and found my silver dead on the floor not far from that spot. Although it was partially my fault, I made the tough decision to let him go. He was an awesome fish, but his hyperactivity became problematic for my other stock. Wouldn’t mind owning another later down the road!
Yeah, right on. I forgot to mention that they are bullies, not horribly mean but like to push most other top and mid water dwelling fish, especially other arowana.

It sounds like blaming the African aro is a supposition but it is one of the likely ones. Silvers, and all aros, are accomplished jumpers. Except for the Africans, arowana jump for livelihood.

Reactions: Nelsonthefishguy

Nelsonthefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2018
Yeah, right on. I forgot to mention that they are bullies, not horribly mean but like to push most other top and mid water dwelling fish, especially other arowana.

It sounds like blaming the African aro is a supposition but it is one of the likely ones. Silvers, and all aros, are accomplished jumpers. Except for the Africans, arowana jump for livelihood.
Yeah I agree, I’m 100% responsible for not closing the gap the night before. I made the assumption solely from observation. When the Afro would bump the silver, looking for food or a quick gulp of air, he would take flight. Just another lesson learned.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... When the Afro would bump the silver, looking for food or a quick gulp of air, he would take flight...
It wasn't without a cause. You might have witnessed only the innocent contacts like you describe (thanks for that) but the fleeing indicates there were contacts of other kinds where the Afro was purposeful and aggressive and the silver learned it's better to always flee.

Reactions: Nelsonthefishguy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store