African Tiger Fish (Hydrocynus) ID and Care Guide 3.0

Lucas2n

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
Hey guys looking for some help, ive realized over the past couple months i haven't been happy with my tanks, I have began missing my tiger more and more. My current stock is 2 Indo tarpon 5", 1 3 bar IT dat 5", 1 4.5" peru paraiba and 1 male and 1 female Bd rays. Currently in a 180, getting upgraded to 8x3 in the future.
My last tiger was a vatf, Im looking this time to get 1 golaith, or would I be able to try and do 3-5 vittatus instead? or maybe a goliath and 2 vitti?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hey guys looking for some help, ive realized over the past couple months i haven't been happy with my tanks, I have began missing my tiger more and more. My current stock is 2 Indo tarpon 5", 1 3 bar IT dat 5", 1 4.5" peru paraiba and 1 male and 1 female Bd rays. Currently in a 180, getting upgraded to 8x3 in the future.
My last tiger was a vatf, Im looking this time to get 1 golaith, or would I be able to try and do 3-5 vittatus instead? or maybe a goliath and 2 vitti?
I think this should be in a separate thread of your own rather than on this one.
Typically it is not advised to keep more than 1 atf per tank. They get very aggressive with each other once they get a bit of size on them.

my personal opinion would be to go with the vatf if you are planning on keeping some of those fish with it. We all know the deal that most of those fish will out grow your 8x3 blah blah blah.

GL

Lucas2n

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
I think this should be in a separate thread of your own rather than on this one.
Typically it is not advised to keep more than 1 atf per tank. They get very aggressive with each other once they get a bit of size on them.

my personal opinion would be to go with the vatf if you are planning on keeping some of those fish with it. We all know the deal that most of those fish will out grow your 8x3 blah blah blah.

GL
Thanks for the input, lfs has one vitti available and I would like to get someone to check the id. I think vitti would be a better fit for me aswell

5A31FF45-B719-41F0-9FC4-3CDEF0389A40.png

4A27027B-BC71-4D6E-A0E7-CFA0432E01BA.png

D452104C-FD48-48C7-88A2-AC4D3ED81ABA.png

Reactions: Matteus

glencch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2021
Hi,

New here. Sorry to be asking this and I know perhaps this question may have been posted previously.
But I don't think I can read so much posts.
Do anyone have any idea if a 7cm long Hydracynus Vittatus eats? I tried feeding them a congo tetra but they won't touch it
Tried giving them floating pellets, but they ain't touching them either

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Hi,

New here. Sorry to be asking this and I know perhaps this question may have been posted previously.
But I don't think I can read so much posts.
Do anyone have any idea if a 7cm long Hydracynus Vittatus eats? I tried feeding them a congo tetra but they won't touch it
Tried giving them floating pellets, but they ain't touching them either

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
I’ve gotten them off live that small but I have teacher fish with them. I normally try to get them off when they are double that size. But I hear the earlier the better to get them off live.

glencch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2021
I’ve gotten them off live that small but I have teacher fish with them. I normally try to get them off when they are double that size. But I hear the earlier the better to get them off live.
What teacher fishes did you get to show them?

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
What teacher fishes did you get to show them?
I like to get something that doesn’t grow fast, that eats whatever you put in the tank, and not too pricey if I lose them or don’t want them later. A lot of people use tin foil barbs. I’ve used silver dollars and frontosa before

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Keep in mind if the teach fish is small enough they will try to eat it or right out kill it because he is getting hungry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store