African Tiger Fish (Hydrocynus) ID and Care Guide 3.0

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Ah... Thanks. Will try Frontosa..I don't think I can get Silver Dollars
I personally like frontosa. So when my tigers out grow them I’ll move to a different tank. They can be high in price compared to other fish people use as teachers. You have to be prepared to lose a teacher if the tigers get hungry and act stubborn

glencch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2021
I personally like frontosa. So when my tigers out grow them I’ll move to a different tank. They can be high in price compared to other fish people use as teachers. You have to be prepared to lose a teacher if the tigers get hungry and act stubborn
Thanks. ??

glencch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2021
Found some silver dollars, couldn't find those frontosas... So trying out Silver Dollars with Tinfoils with the ATFs.
Any idea what algae eaters i should put with the ATFs?

glencch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2021
Need help here. One of my juvenile ATF is swimming very awkwardly. I think it's sick

glencch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2021
Damn sorry for your lost. Okay what was the water levels like
Did a 50% water change and added a sponge filter and a canister filter. Ammonia just spiked to 0.5ppm. And the next thing, my fish became ill the next day and died within hours. ?

glencch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2021
Another VATF died.
The water levels has since stabilized with nitrates and ammonia at 0, and the rest (4 VATFs, 4 Tinfoils and a Sailfin) are all doing fine. PH however is still relatively low at 5.8. ?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Another VATF died.
The water levels has since stabilized with nitrates and ammonia at 0, and the rest (4 VATFs, 4 Tinfoils and a Sailfin) are all doing fine. PH however is still relatively low at 5.8. ?
I’m not an expert by any means but I think the 5.8 ph did much more damage than .5 ammonia.

I suspect there is something else at play if your ph crashed that low, it most likely was a build up of something rather than a sudden spike….

sorry for your loss

Reactions: Darryl Taylor
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store