Aggressive P. Afer Knifefish video...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Well I found a business partner for a business I have been working to get off the ground for a little over a year where we both breed fish and buy spawns off other breeders to grow out and resale along with flipping tanks and renting tank space to other breeders and for quarantine. And tomorrow if the landlord is feeling better we will be meeting to look at a potential commercial property so fingers crossed it goes well.
Good luck!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Is that justarn justarn 's tank? The stocking is almost the same as is the decor, and the size would seem to match as well.
Yes that's my tank a year or so ago.
I still have the knife, he was in with my Midas due to his bad behaviour. He is back in the 300 for the time being trying to wind up everyone lol.
I don't know what it is about afers, they are such great little characters... I sold him a while back and ended up buying him back lol.
He is slippery and can turn on a dime, like a ninja... They really punch above their weight imo, a 30"er would be very impressive I think.
This was him challenging a 10" gold wolf, I moved him out when I came home to this...

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Yes that's my tank a year or so ago.
I still have the knife, he was in with my Midas due to his bad behaviour. He is back in the 300 for the time being trying to wind up everyone lol.
I don't know what it is about afers, they are such great little characters... I sold him a while back and ended up buying him back lol.
He is slippery and can turn on a dime, like a ninja... They really punch above their weight imo, a 30"er would be very impressive I think.
This was him challenging a 10" gold wolf, I moved him out when I came home to this...
Do you feed him feeders or pellets? If feeders, could that be a contributing factor to his aggression level, or is this species of knife just mean in your experience?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
He eats mussel and the odd pellet so not that.
Generally they are ok but if a fish starts with them they tend to end it lol.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Cool video! What kind of barbs are those? The two bars stripe ones. How big are they?
Spanner barbs, largest is 6" but there pics of them at 10" online contrary to what all the info says.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I didn't mention it previously but in my experience afers are most aggressive when they are small as all the youngsters I have had attacked other fish at night after the lights were out.I'd do my morning headcount and find a few fish with shredded fins and bite marks,I knew right away who the culprit was.....now that my afer is bigger and older it is content to simply harrass other fish on ocassion but it never harms them....,much like the one in the video with the pike.
Mine is fed mostly sinking pellets btw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store