Aimara Update

fc3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2009
Union City CA
Here are a few pics of my Aimara. After my Armatus died the 600 gallon aquarium I had both of them in seems stared to split. So, luckily I had a 350 gallon aquarium that wasn't being used and I moved the Aimara into it. The pictures aren't great but here he/she is. I believe it is over 30 inches. I don't have a measurement but the Armatus was 29 inches and I know the Aimara was a little bigger.Aimara 1.jpg Aimara 5.jpg Aimara 7.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice monster!

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That lower jaw is mean lol, looking as monstrous as ever

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
what beast!

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
You told me it took about 5 years to get him from 10in to this size. Have you seen continued growth or has it drastically slowed? Curious if it will get to 3ft.

My baby aimara died and pics like this make me regret ordering a GATF instead. I'll just make sure to try the cohab.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
That aimira is a beast! ANy plans to fix the 600g for him? I thought it was you but another member has a big tank w/ some drifwood and anubias with a ton of neons and a big aimira. Pretty cool combo cause id imagine its gonna be impossible to add another fish in with him.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
That aimira is a beast! ANy plans to fix the 600g for him? I thought it was you but another member has a big tank w/ some drifwood and anubias with a ton of neons and a big aimira. Pretty cool combo cause id imagine its gonna be impossible to add another fish in with him.
If you are referring to the member in Germany with the 23in Aimara, that one died about 10 months ago.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Thanks for sharing an update with us!!!

Can you tell us how you moved such a beast?

fc3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2009
Union City CA
nzafi - The growth has slowed down. What I noticed more now is the thickness. I think if I can keep it alive long enough it will get to 3 ft. In my opinion a large GATF which I have never seen in a home aquarium would be more impressive. That is the one fish I haven't been able to grow out. Every one I have ever owned died fairly quickly. The largest one I grew was only to 15 inches.

gangster - No, I gave the 600 gallon away. The cost to repair it would have been close to the cost of getting a new one. I did have another large Aimara a few years back in the 600 gallon this one was in. It was around 30 inches. But I bought it at that size. With the 350 gallon it is in now another fish wouldn't be possible. The aquarium is 96" L x 36" W x 24" T which isn't big enough I don't think.

DB junkie - I drained the aquarium of all the water then took a pond fishing net and removed the net and replaced it with a pillow case and slid it right over him. It was actually easy with only 4" inches of water in the tank because it wasn't able to swim anywhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store