Albino Oscar shedding Skin? Please HELP !!!

ULTIMATE GODSPEED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2021
Medication is the last resort. Good water quality must be fixed first before adding medication. You always clean a wound before applying ointment, right?
Yea, but when the member “Deadeye” said it’s an infection I panicked ?. So I’ll start water replacement right now, 25% water replacement. Thanks to everyone ??, I’ll update you guys ?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I can't stress how important the water changes are, especially for Oscar's. They are prone to getting HLLE from poor water quality and hard water.
I did 75% water changes every three days.
20180830_172218.jpg
I also ended up rehoming her due to my very hard water to a fellow MFKer.

Get yourself some sort of liquid test kit. Most of us use the API master test kit.

With this you can test your water. Learn if you have soft or hard water. You can test for nitrates so you know when you need to do water changes. There is no set schedule for all tanks. Size and number of fish vs water volume vs filtration will determine your water change schedule. You want to keep nitrates below 20, preferably around 10.

Remember each time you change 50% or more of the water you remove 50% of the nitrates.

Chino 61

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
I have my Oscar in a 75 with a few tank mates. He is just about 8 to 9 inches long. Water changes are wed and sat. almost routine. I will be putting him in a 125 in the next week or so as the tank sits and builds up from the water overflow on both tanks now. I will add clown knife to that tank also. It can never be said enough. Water quality. How many times are you willing to shower with the same water used?

ULTIMATE GODSPEED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2021
I can't stress how important the water changes are, especially for Oscar's. They are prone to getting HLLE from poor water quality and hard water.
I did 75% water changes every three days.
View attachment 1480274
I also ended up rehoming her due to my very hard water to a fellow MFKer.

Get yourself some sort of liquid test kit. Most of us use the API master test kit.

With this you can test your water. Learn if you have soft or hard water. You can test for nitrates so you know when you need to do water changes. There is no set schedule for all tanks. Size and number of fish vs water volume vs filtration will determine your water change schedule. You want to keep nitrates below 20, preferably around 10.

Remember each time you change 50% or more of the water you remove 50% of the nitrates.
I’ll try to find a similar one to that and check. Ok, so water change is a big must, the pet keeper didn’t mention anything to me, maybe cause he wondered the tank size was big enough. There are a total of 4 fishes , 2 oscars and 2 angel fishes.

ULTIMATE GODSPEED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2021
Seems everything’s back to normal, the scales are healed but now the other female Oscar is getting sick. Her poop is in a white string form. So I read online to pause their feeding and then continue and today I saw her stomach area/anus is bloated, should I start another thread? I’m gonna start changing the water again.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That sounds like it would be caused by some internal parasite. Continuing to get water quality in line would help, but meds are generally needed to rid a fish of them. Levamisole is commonly used for treating parasites.

Reactions: ULTIMATE GODSPEED

ULTIMATE GODSPEED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2021
That sounds like it would be caused by some internal parasite. Continuing to get water quality in line would help, but meds are generally needed to rid a fish of them. Levamisole is commonly used for treating parasites.
Thanks for the reply, is there any alternative to Levamisole, it’s not available here. Will adding Epsom salts in the future prevent future problems?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
To my knowledge epsom doesn’t do much besides help to calm stress.
If metroplex + focus is available, that can work.

Reactions: ULTIMATE GODSPEED
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store