Alligator Gar Illness Unknown

waddah2212

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Hello all!

I recently got an alligator gar. It is around 15 inches but he seems to be developing some holes and whiteness on the tip of its nose. I moved him to the quarantine tank and started treating for HITH. I wanted to know if anyone has seen this before and know of a way to treat it?

Ammonia and nitrite 0
Nitrate under 10ppm
water temp is 25 Celsius

Thank you!

IMG_8039.jpgIMG_8040.jpgIMG_8041.jpgIMG_8042.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not sure but clean water and salt 1 tsp per g will help. Looks like from rubbing on the glass.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for the response!
I thought about that too but the fish is housed in a pond + there are holes in its nose.
Can i add the salt in with the API general cure? or should i wait
You can add the two together.

Reactions: tlindsey

Tank Tyrants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
I had the same issue with my Payara. It's most definitely from him rubbing up against the glass.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Alligator gar are known to frequent full salt water and are commonly found in the gulf coast area of the US. so they can take higher salt situations easily
I only mention this to assure you that salt could be a good choice in this situation and has been shown to be beneficial for its anti parasitic/bacterial properties.

You did not mention other species being kept with it so that is something else to consider.

You should be safe with the recommended dose though.

Tank Tyrants

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Those holes are probably sensory glands he/she damage by rubbing against the tank glass.

I know I said that before but I'm assured about it now. 100%

waddah2212

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
I had some 9 inchers with him when he was 15inches, one of them is nearly 27inches. I feed them whole fish, hikari jumbo carnisticks and shrimps. Sometimes i would give them beefheart and chicken wings but not very often at all. Its like fish steroids! ?

Reactions: Tank Tyrants
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store