Alternatives to Pothos

Machine 79

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2020
It works in any tank with any fish that I've kept which include Africans, South and Central Americans, and Madagascans, any and all except those that would eat it, and the only fish I've had that eat it are, Cincelichthys bocourti, and pearsei.
How long does it take to start lowering nitrates?

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
How long does it take to start lowering nitrates?
I never really tested a duration. Just know that as long as it is growing, it is doing it's job. You can't rely on it like a miracle cure, but it noticeably lengthens the time you can go between water changes without the nitrates getting to negative levels. You still gotta do your job, especially with big cichlids, but a heavily planted tank with small fish can keep shockingly low levels of nitrates at all times. All depends in the set up.

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Anyone have any idea if I could do Christmas cactus with fish?

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
No idea, but all you need to know is if they can propagate well in water. It's a common method of propagating plant cuttings until they grow some roots. Any that take to this method seem to do well in aquariums. Also take into consideration if a plant is toxic to pets or not.

Reactions: Pond9

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In most cases it depends on the amount of Pothos growing in the tank compared to the amount of fish.
If you have a well stocked tank 50 or 100 gallon tank with only one or two small stems of Pothos in it, I don't think you will ever see a significant reduction in nitrate.
The amount of plants that will make a noticeable difference, will need to be minimally double or triple that of the weight by volume of fish.
The word overkill, does not does apply when attempting nitrate reduction.
If you look to nature, the amount of vegetation weight compared to animal weight indicates the way.
69B7F8F9-BE73-435B-8FBE-1319BBCF1FD8_1_105_c.jpeg
The shot above was taken on a small tributary of the Magdalena river in Colombia.
Below vegetation surrounding a small pristine steam in Panama.
97CA31E7-00B8-452E-B08D-BE3539645818_1_201_a.jpeg
Even with my 6 ft tank planted like this, I still do every other day 30%+water changes to achieve my nitrate goal of 5 ppm or less..
AE0028E3-0F8F-4441-9307-F9D65924926B_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since it is an epiphyte, where the aerial roots get moisture from surrounding humid air, submerging the roots of the plant for any length of time may tend to make it rot.
In nature (in the highlands of south-eastern BrazilL, it grows in rocky areas, or attached to trees, in a similar way to the way orchids grow
Attached to a floating, or semi submerged log may work as long as it isn't inundated, it will appreciate the humidity of the tanks surrounding air.

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
I just moved Xmas cactus to on top of tank by hob filter hopefully gets better humidity there just gonna keep it potted. Would wandering Jew work same as pothos?

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
I just moved Xmas cactus to on top of tank by hob filter hopefully gets better humidity there just gonna keep it potted. Would wandering Jew work same as pothos?
Yes, see my post with the pics above. That's T. Zebrina (WJ), and snow queen pothos mixed together. T. pallida works well also, I've tried a couple stems since that pic was taken.

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Sorry I’m a big beginner in plants. I barley know the common names lol. Does it grow the same as potho just drop a stem in water or does it need to lay horizontally in water?

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
After years of having pothos growing out of my 75gal and basically allowing it to grow around the room, I eventually trimmed it all back to the tank. One thing to consider is pothos will weep some water onto everything and it makes a mess of your walls, trim and paint the way it clings itself to stuff. It was starting to form rust spots on my metal tank stand as well. My water supply is relatively hard, so where ever it weeped, it left hard water stalagmites LOL.

Reactions: Milingu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store