Ammonia Help!

Infidel1836

Feeder Fish
May 5, 2016
Texas
So, yesterday I did my usual 50% water change on my 120. About 30 mins later I noticed a few of my smaller fish dead and a few of my bigger fish really struggling. I tested the water and had 3ppm ammonia, zero nitrite and around 10 ppm nitrate. I was totally confused, my tanks are all cycled and never have ammonia. I tested my tap water, sure enough, it read 3ppm ammonia! Any advice on how to proceed? I have two other tanks to change. BTW, I use Seachem Safe for water changes.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Fortunately, I've not encountered this situation, but if I were you I would hold off any water change at least until you find out more information on what's going on with your water. Perhaps a call to the water company? What test are you using to be able to deteremine 3ppm?

But if you do have to change, I use Seachem prime (to neutralize the ammonia - but I suppose Safe is another variation of that as well?).

Edit: Also, since you know there is ammonia perhaps dosing the tap separately before filling in your tank. I normally don't do that, but given the death, something to consider with small WC. Good luck.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Fortunately, I've not encountered this situation, but if I were you I would hold off any water change at least until you find out more information on what's going on with your water. Perhaps a call to the water company? What test are you using to be able to deteremine 3ppm?

But if you do have to change, I use Seachem prime (to neutralize the ammonia - but I suppose Safe is another variation of that as well?).

Edit: Also, since you know there is ammonia perhaps dosing the tap separately before filling in your tank. I normally don't do that, but given the death, something to consider with small WC. Good luck.

+1

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
firstly dose your tank again with safe.

secondly, call your water provider asap and ask why there is an abnormal amount of ammonia in your tap water.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
keep in mind that neutralized tap water will give a false positive for ammonia since the amine group from the chloramines is still present. It's tough to get an accurate reading on recently treated tap. Also you should test another tank or bottled water as a blank to make sure your kit works properly.

However, your fish are certainly experiencing stress from the ammonia. That's really high! What was the pH of your tank before the water change? Also, I noticed on Seachem's website that the proper dosage of safe won't come close to treating 3ppm of ammonia.

Reactions: dan518

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
keep in mind that neutralized tap water will give a false positive for ammonia since the amine group from the chloramines is still present. It's tough to get an accurate reading on recently treated tap. Also you should test another tank or bottled water as a blank to make sure your kit works properly.

However, your fish are certainly experiencing stress from the ammonia. That's really high! What was the pH of your tank before the water change? Also, I noticed on Seachem's website that the proper dosage of safe won't come close to treating 3ppm of ammonia.
this makes me think the water company did an over-sterilization then if chloramines can give a false positive. My money is they flushed their pipes for some reason.

Infidel1836

Feeder Fish
May 5, 2016
Texas

I have tested against a control, I believe my test to be accurate.
The pH in the tank is always around 7.
I`ve tried to contact my local water district, they haven`t called me back.
Has anyone ever used zeolite? I don`t ever use chemical filtration but, I`m kind of stumped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store