Anaerobic Bacteria

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
So with such slow flow is there anything to be gained? With flow rates at .5 gph by the time any amount of water would flow through I would think that the nitrates would just keep being replaced and the total nitrates will just keep going up.
I mean we're only talking about 12 gallons a day.
For a larger tank anyway?

Reactions: jaws7777

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think for small tanks and as an addition to regular water changes then should be fine.

Bigger systems and heavily stocked tanks are likely not.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I think for small tanks and as an addition to regular water changes then should be fine.

+1

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Aquaponics can handle any size system and any stocking density.
I wonder how a very low flow rate with an intake strainer can be achieved. I'd like to try this
My father has these special adjustable valves for his garden irrigation system that allow only the gph you set then at. I will ask him what they are called.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Drip emitters
he just calls them " drippers" but is the same thing. It would be really good for a denitrator, all you would need is to split off a hose from your overflow and fit one of these, and you can add a denitrator without having to buy a pump.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
It intrigued me too (atfirst) but im skeptical atleast for large tanks with high bioloads.

This guys claims its a success but what good is getting 0 nitrates out of the filter when your getting nitrates in the tank. Granted im not sure what his readings were prior to the filter but i just cant imagine something thats dripping 1 or 2 drops a second would outperform the bioload that big fish are producing constantly.

I'd imagine the nitrate creep would outperform the filter.
That's interesting and thanks for linking. To your point, there needs to be a control or baseline from the tank without coil running (for a set period and trying to keep other parameters consistent). If there then was a "meaningful" variance with the coil, then it would be useful. I think we wouldn't be able to conclude without knowing that?

What I can personally conclude from the video is that I need not shake the API bottle and vile as I have been LOL.

Reactions: jaws7777

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

My 70 gal can be a test subject then.

I'll do some research and ask the prof when I meet him :)

I'll just have to save for all this tubing and equipment as well

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
As of today its still holding in the orange. If this holds up i would consider it a success, my goals were to reduce wc's to 1 per week.

Screenshot_20170811-074142.png
By now it should easily be between 80 and 160 if not higher.

Since we're all putting our heads together i think it would be beneficial for anyone going forward to figure out why kno4te kno4te filter started working in a few weeks vs mine that took a few months ?

If i remember his build correctly its basically the same as mine minus the series of towers, niether if us dosed a carbon source as well.

tarheel96 tarheel96 Grinch Grinch BIG-G BIG-G thoughts ?

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store