Anchor Worms? Oh nooo!

QuErorZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
turkey
Guys , some resources say flukes are not visible to eye. Are you reallllllly sure these are flukes? I don't want to lose time treating them the wrong way.

By the way i did find Prazi included medicine today and started the medication.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If you have methylene blue use it in conjunction with the prazi in a 30 min bath of tank water. Treat the main tank with the prazi. Do the large water change suggested earlier before treating the main tank. Do two rounds of treatment with the prazi. This should eradicate them.

Yes these are flukes (gyrodactylus sp).

QuErorZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
turkey
Tom, i asked people to help on 5 other forums too and you are the only one with a diagnosis. So even though i am not 100% convinced with that diagnosis(mainly because of there is no picture of this disease that looks like on my fish) trusting you and doing what you say is the only thing i can do at this stage.

I have 2 fish with visible parasites. I put them in quarantine tank. I applied 7.5 mg/l Prazi. In my main tank, where the fish look very well, i applied 2.5 mg/l .

Do you think i should put methylene in my quarantine and main tank?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Only use MB in the hospital tank, not in the main tank it will damage the beneficial bacteria.

5 other forums? MFK is the only forum you need. ;)

QuErorZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
turkey
Thanks Tom. People from other forums responded. They say it is no flukes. But i will stick with the treatment. Because they have no picture matching my fish's situation as well. Only assumptions... And i have no energy to start another treatment. Let's see how this one goes.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
So they can tell you what it is not but can't tell you what it is?
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa033

Skin flukes are an external parasite gryodactyids. Pictures, from the net. Of an infested discus.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
One thing I do want to caution you about is the risk of secondary infection. That's why using the MB with the prazi is a good idea. If the prazi doesn't kill this species you might have to consider levamisole or fenbendazole both are available from a vet I don't about Turkey I left there many years ago.

QuErorZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
turkey
Tom, i am grateful for your effort to save my fish. I am sorry but those parasites on this discus doesn't look like the ones on my fish.

I found this picture: http://akvaforum.no/images/forum/11640_070305001552_2.jpg

I tracked the topic on this fish and found out the fish was treated with Flubenol 15 and later i found out that Prazi is pretty much the same kind of medicine as Flubenol.

Funny stuff happening in my tank. The sickest fish got his colours back. Perfect colours. And i am not sure yet but there seems to be less parasites on him. However he lies down on the gravel and probably gonna die.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are at least 400 different species of Gyrodactylus skin flukes found world wide, and I would imagine the particular species found in Turkey may have a slightly different appearance than the typical species posted by photographers in the US.
To me the photos you posted are as Tom said, skin flukes.
You may have had only 1 larval individual or a few eggs on a fish months ago, and it it has taken until this point to notice that they have been reproducing, and are at an epidemic population.

Last edited:

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
There are at least 400 different species of Gyrodactylus skin flukes found world wide, and I would imagine the particular species found in Turkey may have a slightly different appearance than the typical species posted by photographers in the US.
To me the photos you posted are as Tom said, skin flukes.
You may have had only 1 larval individual or a few eggs on a fish months ago, and it it has taken until this point to notice that they have been reproducing, and are at an epidemic population.
Agreed, that is why I posted the link along with the picture. This is not a cookie cutter family of parasite. It is quite diverse with many species. Just like all cichlids look different due to evolutionary adaptations so do the different species of gyrodactylus look different.

OP try doing a water change in the hospital tank without adding meds see if that helps and add additional aeration if you haven't already. Check to make sure parameters in the hospital tank match the main tank, pH, temp etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store