Angelfish No longer swallowing food

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Have you added anything to this tank in recent weeks/months that could have allowed a parasite to enter with it?
I added some rummies yesterday while I moved the angel to the QT tank, I kept the rummies in another tank for about 3 weeks before I added them. Nothing seem off with them and I doubt that they contributed anything since they were added after he stopped swallowing food.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ok, just seems weird from what you have described, no serious aggression towards it, no new tank mates that could have recently triggered an outbreak. Hmmm. Perhaps something intestinal besides IP's is causing it to go off its feed? Or maybe a chronic low level case of stress from his angel tank mates just caught up to him? Hopefully it clears up with treatment, good luck.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Ok, just seems weird from what you have described, no serious aggression towards it, no new tank mates that could have recently triggered an outbreak. Hmmm. Perhaps something intestinal besides IP's is causing it to go off its feed? Or maybe a chronic low level case of stress from his angel tank mates just caught up to him? Hopefully it clears up with treatment, good luck.
I think it could be Hex, he had some patchy white “sores” that were around his mouth and eyes. I gave him an epsom salt bath and they went away. This was about a two weeks ago. Also didn’t help that last week during a water change I was removing some small amazon swords that never really grew and they're roots where interconnected with every other sword in the tank, so I accidentally uprooted everything. I think these incidents and the constant low level aggression from my other angels might have finally gotten to him. He doesn’t look too bad in QT though, still does what cichlid should do and acknowledges my presence in the room.

Should I hook up a spare ac50 to the QT? It’s a small tank so don’t think a sponge filter would be enough

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If it is Spironucleus vortens aka Hexamita, you might as well treat the entire main tank, because everything in there will now be exposed to the parasites.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, I have used it with clown loaches, no issues at all.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Sweet, anyways an update on the Angel, little guy is eating again but not very much. Like he'd eat some flakes but then for other's he'd chew and then spit out. Also his bowel movements where a mixture of normal waste and white stringy poop. I vacuum the detritus away during a 25% water change on his little QT tank. Keeping the water temp at 80-81 F.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
The fellers doing okay I think. I'd do a dose of metroplex per instructions, then for the rest of the day he'd no longer be interested in food, then the next day he'll go back to sampling food again. I'll leave him with the metroplex for 2 weeks or so, since that's how long sea chem says for hex.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store