Angelfish pair which one is the male?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Yeah I've had allot of trial and error when I first started out. Lol still have a hard time keeping angels happy and healthy, mainly just due to their aggression/fragility. Had to get my puffers some blood worms today just to get em to stop nipping my angels fins. How 3 pea puffers, in a planted 55g, destroyed an entire colony of snails, numbering into the thousands, idk but I do know they started nipping fins shortly after the snails vanished.
Yea angels are definitely not what their name implies haha

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Could anyone tell me if mines male or female

ghe black one in the background hates when I get the camera out lol I can never get a good shot of it

this platinum angel runs my current 180 litre tank, not that’s it’s a bully or aggressive but when everything knows it runs the tank

498269F5-B25A-4FA7-B178-2BCA7565FE03.jpeg

2B6D641D-CC7E-4B22-AD6D-AADE504C2723.jpeg

1796BDD5-F795-4F67-BCB6-85B09C281E87.jpeg

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Yeah I've had allot of trial and error when I first started out. Lol still have a hard time keeping angels happy and healthy, mainly just due to their aggression/fragility. Had to get my puffers some blood worms today just to get em to stop nipping my angels fins. How 3 pea puffers, in a planted 55g, destroyed an entire colony of snails, numbering into the thousands, idk but I do know they started nipping fins shortly after the snails vanished.
Unfortunately, Angels and murder beans are never a good mix. the beans love to nip fins and angels just can't outswim them. The little buggers will go through and just kill without eating. I have read numerous accounts of keepers having a tank crash because the beans went through and wiped out an entire population of snails causing the ammonia to spike. I now use assassin snails to control snail populations rather than the puffs. I keep a small group of beans in a 29g and toss a few snails in for them everyday. I also feed frozen brine and blood worms.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Could anyone tell me if mines male or female

ghe black one in the background hates when I get the camera out lol I can never get a good shot of it

this platinum angel runs my current 180 litre tank, not that’s it’s a bully or aggressive but when everything knows it runs the tank

View attachment 1450705

View attachment 1450706

View attachment 1450707
I have circled the area of interest when attempting to sex these fish. It really isn't possible until they are ready to spawn. The male has a smale stick and the female a pinkish triangle. Once they pair off be prepaired to rehome any other angels you may own.angel.jpeg

Reactions: Fishman Dave

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I have circled the area of interest when attempting to sex these fish. It really isn't possible until they are ready to spawn. The male has a smale stick and the female a pinkish triangle. Once they pair off be prepaired to rehome any other angels you may own.View attachment 1450711
Fishguy1978 thank you for the info, I only have the 2 in the photos I have just posted.
for the last week they have been hanging around the filter intake and as I was just looking through the threads for angles I saw some had some eggs so I opted it and the photo was of his angles eggs on the intake stick. My platinum in the photo has been pecking at the intake stick for a few days now.
could this be him / her preparing to lay eggs as I know cichlids do this to stone and slate before they lay eggs

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Fishguy1978 thank you for the info, I only have the 2 in the photos I have just posted.
for the last week they have been hanging around the filter intake and as I was just looking through the threads for angles I saw some had some eggs so I opted it and the photo was of his angles eggs on the intake stick. My platinum in the photo has been pecking at the intake stick for a few days now.
could this be him / her preparing to lay eggs as I know cichlids do this to stone and slate before they lay eggs
Quite possibly. They don't seem to have any sense when it comes to choosing intake tubes as spawn sites. Mine would spawn on uplift tubes all the time. I only tried to raise fry once. PITA

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I think you have two males. Though I could be wrong as angels are notorious for being difficult to sex.

I am however, more positive that the platinum is male. The black one is still iffy and I’m not positive that it is a male (but my vote goes male for the black one too).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store