Angelfish question

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I currently have five Angels. I believe them to all be female due to body shape, and I have seen three of them lay eggs. If I were to buy a male, and he mated with a female, would either of the two hurt themselves protecting the eggs? I currently have a 5" blood parrot, and I was looking into getting a 1 - 3" Texas or Chocolate. My two largest Angels are 3" discs, with the other three being between 2" - 2 1/2". (I know this should be under breeding, but no one responded the first time.)

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
How big is the tank? If you just had the Angels I think they would be fine. They're not hyper aggressive rockets like convicts.
However, adding a Texas is a bad idea. Those Angels don't stand a chance against a bigger aggressive cichlid like that.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'd be really surprised if you an aggression bad enough for concern in a tank that big. However, I still think the Texas is a bad idea. The Angels are just too slow.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I have no experience with chocolate cichlids so I don't know.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Chocolates, like all cichlids, are dependent on temperament of the fish. As a general rule, they are mellow fish, I've been keeping them for 10+ years in at least one tank. In that size they should do well with the angelfish, however I would probably just get one, a pair might not be a friendly to the angels. Another option would be a pearsei.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store