Any Bonsai tree Keepers?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm startin' to think I should have just left my trees outside this winter. Here it is middle of January and we have not had a bit of snow yet. Very un-Michigan-like :duh:
We are supposed to get our first real snow this weekend.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Really? No snow in Michigan yet?
We’ve already had one bad storm drop a bunch on us before Christmas here in MN. Now it’s a cycle of light melt, freezing cold, light melt, rain, snow, freeze freeze freeze. Lol
A bit off for January here. But I hate snow and cold so I can’t say I mind it being a warmer January.

Now I didn’t read through the thread... where does everyone get their bonsais that they started with? I’ve wanted one for years.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I'm startin' to think I should have just left my trees outside this winter. Here it is middle of January and we have not had a bit of snow yet. Very un-Michigan-like :duh:
We too have had an unusually warm winter. It rained today is the first day of winter to dip below 24C.

They get bigger every year so far, I'm sure if I messed around with it I could get it to grow a basketball sized fruit
I double dog dare ya.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
We’ve already had one bad storm drop a bunch on us before Christmas here in MN. Now it’s a cycle of light melt, freezing cold, light melt, rain, snow, freeze freeze freeze. Lol
A bit off for January here. But I hate snow and cold so I can’t say I mind it being a warmer January.

Now I didn’t read through the thread... where does everyone get their bonsais that they started with? I’ve wanted one for years.
We are finally gonna get some Saturday if the forecast hold out. They are calling for a total of 5" Starting Sat morn and ending Sun morn so we'll see.

There are two somewhat local shops that have bonsai where I have got some of mine from, but I also start with nursery stock as well for many of my trees. You won't usually find tropicals like ficus or bougainvillea or other tropicals like those at nurseries so those you have to either get from a bonsai shop or you can usually find some decent tropical bonsai on ebay.

For temperate bonsai like Junipers and boxwoods and such you can get those at nurseries or places like Lowes/Home Depot. Just look for the 5g Junipers & boxwoods that run about $30-$50 and sort through them all looking for ones that have single thick trunks. Then start pruning & training them into what you want them to look like.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Both of them are really nice.Is that top one a cherry blossom?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016

Ebay has pre- bonsais , I collected most of mine as saplings, no need to spend $40-50,000 or more on em, even many rarer plants can be had cheap if you look hard enough, or ask the right people.

Why not start with a slippery elm sapling? They have a faster rate of growth which allows you to get an actual bonsai shape quicker, and are hardy as well.

Reactions: MrsE88

JAYBIRD1011

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2017
Wilmington NC
image.jpg I took the easy way to a Bonsai. I have a monster jade tree! With my brother right now. I only have a piece for picture. It grows naturally into a bonsai shape. Beautiful and easy to keep. My kind of plant. It just needs the right intensity light and not too much water. This is several pieces grown out. If you grow one central stalk it becomes a tree. Can get pretty huge. If you don’t have time for a traditional bonsai, these can fill the void.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store