Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
Close to 0, doesn't register
If yes, what is your nitrite?
Close to 0, doesn't register
If yes, what is your nitrate?
Around 5ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi, sorry for the poor photo, the fish is in a poorly lit hospital tank. I am trying to figure out what that hole in the head is. See the white mark on the photo? That's actually a crater in the head...

Some context, I got this Flowerhorn 2-3 months ago. Thanks to COVID I didn't have a chance to view the fish, i got it in a bucket and only got to see him once home. What a mistake.

Where to start. First the fish couldn't swim. He was crawling at the bottom of the tank for weeks. He was breathing with great difficulty for weeks. Along the way an ick outbreak happened. His fins looked like s*** too.

Once the ick was cured (high temp+salt+frequent WC did the trick) he started swimming normally again, breathing got normal, and finally he started eating his first bites after like 2 months in my HT...

Today he swims actively, has the most voracious appetite of any fish I have... Looks healthy and fins have almost fully regrew, etc

BUT,... I am posting today because that hole in the head is still there. Hasn't healed in any way that whole time. I have seen HITH before and this doesn't really look like the HITH I saw before. First HITH tends to be on the top of the head in what I saw... Not on the side. But maybe it's HITH?

What else causes what looks like a permanent hole in the head like this? Or, is it permanent? Anything I can do to heal the guy? With good water params and quality foods (Northfin) I expected the hole to patch up...

Next question... Can I move the guy out of the HT? He seems as healthy behaviour wise as any fish... But I don't want that hole in the main tank fishes...

I considered selling or even giving him away but uncomfortable in doing so without knowing what's causing the hole.

Thoughts?

20200531_201206.jpg

harveysburger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
Canada
The white mark is the right behind the eye on the right side... Couldn't get a photo showing it better, but it s like 2mm deep, it hasn't gotten worse or improved in nearly 3 months

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like a big scrape. Did it start out small and grow? Or u hadn’t noticed? I’d cont to keep the water clean and nitrates as low as possible. Feed and let it heal up. Dab the area with a qtip soaked in methylene blue. If the area gets better then prob not hith. Hith maybe due to overall stress. How long has it been in the hospital tank?

harveysburger

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
Canada
He is in the HT since I first got him, he was in awful shape. The area never got worst and never improved, despite everything else improving (as mentioned, he could barely swim, had rough breathing, even ick...)

The hole is so deep, I can see a bit through the thin layer of tissue between the hole and the inside... Pretty odd.

Let just say I won't do again a blind fish purchase lol. I never had such a beat up fish, I am quite amazed he recovered.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
He is in the HT since I first got him, he was in awful shape. The area never got worst and never improved, despite everything else improving (as mentioned, he could barely swim, had rough breathing, even ick...)

The hole is so deep, I can see a bit through the thin layer of tissue between the hole and the inside... Pretty odd.

Let just say I won't do again a blind fish purchase lol. I never had such a beat up fish, I am quite amazed he recovered.
I see. Then move out of the hospital tank. Feed some hex shield and dab the area with a qtip soaked with methylene blue. Feed well and provide clean water. Hope it starts to improve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store