Anybody think datnoids aren't captive bred??

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Whether it's true or not, I hope it's with good intentions. I hope they breed the St's to restock the population in the Mekong. St's are one of the most beautiful fish in the hobby imo and I want to see them thriving and not being fished for and eaten. I don't want them to be bred just for the hobbies selfish needs. I'd rather never own one if it meant there population growing in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Nice thinking, but look at Asian arowanas. They're ornamental fish. I doubt re population is on the forefront with these people have spent thousands and thousands of dollars building a breeding program. That's the sad reality :(

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Nice thinking, but look at Asian arowanas. They're ornamental fish. I doubt re population is on the forefront with these people have spent thousands and thousands of dollars building a breeding program. That's the sad reality :(
Actually,

I read an article where the fish farms have to release a certain amount each year of the wild variety, thats actually the only reason greens show up from time to time.. or it would be red and gold all day!!lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Whether it's true or not, I hope it's with good intentions. I hope they breed the St's to restock the population in the Mekong. St's are one of the most beautiful fish in the hobby imo and I want to see them thriving and not being fished for and eaten. I don't want them to be bred just for the hobbies selfish needs. I'd rather never own one if it meant there population growing in the wild.
Pretty much sums it all up for me as well but I don't see the farmers going through all the effort to re stock the river if there is money to be made with the fry...Interesting photos but I need to see more and an accompanying text would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh yeah,I figured that,just wish we could know the story behind them.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I know for a fact that they are CB Indo's. They are injected with hormonal steroids and "milked for sperm or eggs. This has been going on with polys for some time now, as well as other species.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's really good news Kevin,if true..I have heard talk of it before but never seen any proof that it is being done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store