Anybody think datnoids aren't captive bred??

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
I've emailed a few Asian exporters in the past and all datnoid species have been recently and successfully bred in captivity farms, except for the ST/pulcher. Captive bred datnoids can be readily found in the Asian market. As far as trying to find out how breeding farms do it, that's something breeding farms won't tell you exactly (trade secret, unethical method, who knows). That makes the ST even harder to come by and more puzzling to understand. It could also be that ST are restricted from any commercial breeding as a protected specie.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I am quite sure ITs can be captive bred... about a couple of months ago... someone who rented a pond was selling baby ITs, 3cm size, for like $1-2 per piece. Selling in bags of 100.

Was so tempted to buy a couple of bags for fun but I have no tank to keep them

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
They're in Thai (which is way outside of my level) and not sure if they've been posted before on the site, but here are a couple of Thai farms that appear to be breeding Dats, though others like krichardson or Vancouver_98683r could better identify which kind:

And here's the same guy putting a micro-chip into what I'm thinking could only be an ST (otherwise why would they chip it?)

And one more, with some Indos(?):

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
It thinknthe datnioid they put a chip in looks like an NTT
Yeah I guess you're right, I'm not a Dat ID expert to be sure -- but it still raises the question of why they would be micro-chipping an NTT, which are all over the place (I guess maybe they just want to differentiate their captive bred from wild caught?). In any case the videos do show Datnoids being bred in captivity (though I suspect most Dats on the market are still wild caught) -- now if only more places could do it with ST, that would be nice.

Reactions: Matteus

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Yeah I guess you're right, I'm not a Dat ID expert to be sure -- but it still raises the question of why they would be micro-chipping an NTT, which are all over the place (I guess maybe they just want to differentiate their captive bred from wild caught?). In any case the videos do show Datnoids being bred in captivity (though I suspect most Dats on the market are still wild caught) -- now if only more places could do it with ST, that would be nice.

It might be a possibility that they put a microchip in them to keep record of their proven breeders.

Ive seen some videos of stated ST fry. But when they are 1cm big its hard to tell them from IT so as far as i know i can be IT in the videos. But it is still a secret from most farms and they are very shush shush with it.
Here is a video from a farm in indonesia that breeds IT

And as far as im concerned ive been in contact with an farm in thailand that stated they had ST in small sizes. 2-3 inches and it looked like ST in my eyes. Pricey as hell. 2500usd each.
Here is a video of this farm.

Last edited:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Sweet Video ! Appreciate the share. Since it’s in Thai. Unsure why they would need to microchip the NTT specie. Likely a way to monitor the growth, locale ID, breeding successes/failure, certification for sale, etc...
Tomorrow I'll forward that link to one of my Thai staff who's also into fish/shrimp keeping and find out the gist of what they're saying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store