Anybody think datnoids aren't captive bred??

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Sorry I forgot to follow up regarding translation of video, which I only sent him the first 2 vids in post #35 above. Unfortunately I didn't get as much info as I would like (he's in Bangkok) and were Line messaging, but here are a few things:

With the micro-chip video they didn't mention species or reason for the the micro-chipping, just outlined the steps on how to do it.

In the first longer video, what he told me was:
"The fish are mostly from Mekong river at Ubonratchathani province." (in eastern Thailand where it borders Laos). "This place has about 2,500 fish."

"Before, the tiger fish are growing by natural can't breeding, but now the Department of Fisheries can breed it. Only gov't offices are doing it now, but after they will share the info with private farms."

So that video is about 5 yrs. old, I'm not sure how far it's all progressed, nor even which Datnoid species are involved: like most locals here my friend wouldn't know the difference between any of the Datnoids, and would just call all of them 'Tigerfish' -- he was quite shocked when I told him how much a ST can sell for.

I'll send him the 3rd video next to see if any interesting info.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Sorry I forgot to follow up regarding translation of video, which I only sent him the first 2 vids in post #35 above. Unfortunately I didn't get as much info as I would like (he's in Bangkok) and were Line messaging, but here are a few things:

With the micro-chip video they didn't mention species or reason for the the micro-chipping, just outlined the steps on how to do it.

In the first longer video, what he told me was:
"The fish are mostly from Mekong river at Ubonratchathani province." (in eastern Thailand where it borders Laos). "This place has about 2,500 fish."
View attachment 1373491

"Before, the tiger fish are growing by natural can't breeding, but now the Department of Fisheries can breed it. Only gov't offices are doing it now, but after they will share the info with private farms."

So that video is about 5 yrs. old, I'm not sure how far it's all progressed, nor even which Datnoid species are involved: like most locals here my friend wouldn't know the difference between any of the Datnoids, and would just call all of them 'Tigerfish' -- he was quite shocked when I told him how much a ST can sell for.

I'll send him the 3rd video next to see if any interesting info.

I think it has progressed so far that the market is flooded with small IT. ST starts to show up in small sizes same goes with NGT and NTT. AT we hardly see here in sweden at least. I got hold of one last year prob around 8cm. Grows really slowly are prob only 13cm now a year later.

Reactions: islandguy11

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
The videos are interesting nonetheless.. and have been circulating around for a while now with no hard evidence to satisfy.

Prices for these fishes (ITs) has been going up in recent years and are still available only seasonally.
As far back as 15 years ago, tiny baby ITs were sold in feeder bags.

Until someone who understand Thai and translate the videos proper with whatever programme they are doing, we can only speculate.

I cannot speak for the Thais but Indonesian exporters and farms still deny the existence of captive bred ITs locally at least.
I have yet to physically chance upon a farm that breeds IT. And is still hopeful to witness one..

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store