Anyone use sand with eco complete for substrate?

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I would Like to have all my substrate be eco complete. The problem is the tank is 240 gal so it would cost a lot. So I'm thinking of using mainly pool filter sand and then sprinkling some EC on top for aesthetics and also using mainly EC in areas that are planted. Just wanted to see if anyone has done this and has pictures? Not only do I want it for my plants I just think it looks a lot better than gravel.

-THANKS

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Well I don't have experience doing that but have you considered buying it slowly? A bag here a bag there?

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Well I don't have experience doing that but have you considered buying it slowly? A bag here a bag there?
I can afford to buy it. It's just that I don't really want to spend several hundred for something I find a little more visually appealing than gravel.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I have heard of laying other stuff on top of the eco. The thing is eco is like little lave rocks in texture, like sandpaper to softbellied fish like cats, polys anything thats spends a lot of time sitting on the bottom of the tank. Since roots go down put in the Eco, then what you wants gor looks. Then you get both worlds, food for plants and nice looks for your tank.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
I have heard of laying other stuff on top of the eco. The thing is eco is like little lave rocks in texture, like sandpaper to softbellied fish like cats, polys anything thats spends a lot of time sitting on the bottom of the tank. Since roots go down put in the Eco, then what you wants gor looks. Then you get both worlds, food for plants and nice looks for your tank.
I wont have any bottom dwellers in the tank. but yea I want to have it for the plants but also just enjoy the look so for the majority of the tank that isn't planted I want to have a small layer

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You never know, you could find a new bottom dweller that you just must have ;)

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
True

Thomas18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2017
Australia
I don't understand why everyone thinks that ruff substrate is bad for fish like cory cats, don't you think that they wouldn't do something that hurts. Plus the substrate that they live on in the wild is not smooth at all, it is rough as can be. Go look at aquarium co-op's Peru vlog, he show the rough substrate that they are catching cory's on

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
We have seen enough worn barbels and reddened undersides that lead to secondary bacteria to know that sharp substrate is detrimental to corydoras species in the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store