Aquarium that dosent require cleaning?

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
"a lake doesnt require water changes"

This is just not true. A lake, pond, sea, ocean gets major water changes and exchanges. In a lake, some water goes down into groundwater, some evaporates, other may run as runoff. Some lakes dry mostly, or substantially, in a seasonal basis. Then there is rain and meltdown and runoff that ends in the lake as well. Some have springs that lead into them.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I’ve never understood where the excess water goes on a drip system. I get overflows but do you have an open line out?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I’ve never understood where the excess water goes on a drip system. I get overflows but do you have an open line out?
Yes, just a dirty water line/overflow out of ur sump…It just goes down a drain somewhere in ur house i.e. floor or sink drain or u can run a line outside. Mine goes into a basement sump crock then is pumped outside 100’ to a storm drain. It runs about every 20-30minutes lol. Burned out 2 sump pumps so far. They usually last around 4-5 yrs being “abused” ?… to make it easy i have a 50’+ run of pvc around my fish room all the drip drains/tanks go into and that goes to my sump pump. My house is on septic or itd just go to a regular floor drain. The septic cant handle the amt of water i drip lol…

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
For my system I used 3/4in pvc around the perimeter of the room to direct all the water to a floor drain in one corner. I know others have put a drain line through an outside wall or tie into the household plumbing.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Auto drip is wonderful, and if I could I would use it...but for about half of the year, my outside drain lines are frozen and unusable. During those cold months I must run outside and quickly lay down a hose that attaches to the outside drain valve and extends into a nearby field (my field). Turn on the downstairs pump that ejects the water, sit with a beer and relax until all tanks are drained; watching the steam rising from the end of the hose is almost surreal. Then run outside...right away!...to coil up the hose before it freezes solid. I've had a couple shatter on me if I waited a wee bit too long. :) A constant slow 24/7 drain just isn't useable for me.

But even if it works...or if I decided to run the line to my ejector septic system, which I am not about to do...you are just changing water. How about plant material? Or is this just for unplanted tanks? My planted tanks are always producing dead leaves, stems, etc...pruning and trimming and removing that stuff, and excess growth, is still tank cleaning. Cleaning algae off glass is still cleaning. This thread is searching for the Holy Grail of Lazy Fishkeepers...the maintenance-free tank. The autodrip is a big step in that direction...but it's still just one step.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Thanks.. not sure I could work that setup without drilling my foundation but it’s something to consider.

Reactions: jjohnwm

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
is it possible to make a tank with a inlet and outlet water pump that pumps fresh water in and old water out slowly?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
is it possible to make a tank with a inlet and outlet water pump that pumps fresh water in and old water out slowly?
Thats the premise of autodrip systems… “drip” water in 24/7 and it outflows with gravity and a drain 24/7 as well ??

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Auto drip is wonderful, and if I could I would use it...but for about half of the year, my outside drain lines are frozen and unusable. During those cold months I must run outside and quickly lay down a hose that attaches to the outside drain valve and extends into a nearby field (my field). Turn on the downstairs pump that ejects the water, sit with a beer and relax until all tanks are drained; watching the steam rising from the end of the hose is almost surreal. Then run outside...right away!...to coil up the hose before it freezes solid. I've had a couple shatter on me if I waited a wee bit too long. :) A constant slow 24/7 drain just isn't useable for me.

But even if it works...or if I decided to run the line to my ejector septic system, which I am not about to do...you are just changing water. How about plant material? Or is this just for unplanted tanks? My planted tanks are always producing dead leaves, stems, etc...pruning and trimming and removing that stuff, and excess growth, is still tank cleaning. Cleaning algae off glass is still cleaning. This thread is searching for the Holy Grail of Lazy Fishkeepers...the maintenance-free tank. The autodrip is a big step in that direction...but it's still just one step.
Tank water is warm… itell keep ur lines unfrozen IMO… i live in Ohio and my 4” 100’ PVC line has no issues in winter. Its a mere 6-12” underground and it melts the snow on the ground above it… my tanks are only kept at 70-72 degrees as well. Since its running 24/7 theres no worry of freezing. My “line” is intermittent also running with a sump pump every 30 minutes or so. Worth a shot for ya to try. Will def. Change ur life lol… makes the hobby much more enjoyable and highly improves quality of life for ur fishy friends… win win lol ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store