AQUASCAPING

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Try some simple java fern tied to the wood in a few places. Also, in a low tech set up I have had great success with rotala rotundifolia, as well as medium species of valisneria. Just make sure that you are adding root tabs for the root feeding plants every month or so and you should be ok.
Yup! I got Java fern tied to wood, buried under the gravel. I can’t tell what is anubias, to me all aquatic plants look almost identical. I’ll post a pic soon for identification purposes

Reactions: Deadeye

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Yup! I got Java fern tied to wood, buried under the gravel. I can’t tell what is anubias, to me all aquatic plants look almost identical. I’ll post a pic soon for identification purposes
Do not bury java fern!! It will die. The roots need to be exposed. They get their nutrients from the water column.

I have no experience with anubias, but it is the same type of care as java fern from what I have read.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
If you took the bulletproof Java fern, and then made it nuclear bomb proof, you get Anubias (except for rhizome rot). Very similar care for both.
Most species have long, thin stems and broad leaves.
Comparable to the leather coral of plants, slow growers but will survive just about anything.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Any other plecos besides bristlenose? I removed the common pleco. I would like a small and excellent algae cleaner, but the bristlenose just seems so ugly ?
Females do not have the bristles on the nose.
Clowns are okay but more of a wood eater.
I’m not good with plecos, so maybe someone else can chime in as to other small algae eating plecos.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Females do not have the bristles on the nose.
Clowns are okay but more of a wood eater.
I’m not good with plecos, so maybe someone else can chime in as to other small algae eating plecos.
How do you tell it’s a female bristlenose if it doesn’t have the bristles ?? I’m also clueless about plecos.

Niki_up Niki_up sorry for the disturbance ?. Know any algae eaters which can stay in a 55g and don’t produce tons of waste? Thanks

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How do you tell it’s a female bristlenose if it doesn’t have the bristles ?? I’m also clueless about plecos.

Niki_up Niki_up sorry for the disturbance ?. Know any algae eaters which can stay in a 55g and don’t produce tons of waste? Thanks
It would still be sold as a bn pleco. The bristles only develop after they grow a bit though, so it’s hard to tell as juvies. After growing a bit they will be noticeable.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Look at a group of otocinclus, or for a little more movement three Siamese algae eaters (if you like the black shark sort of shape) (NOT the Chinese algae eaters which would be too large and boisterous)

• Wow
Reactions: Deadeye and Caveden

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Look at a group of otocinclus, or for a little more movement three Siamese algae eaters (if you like the black shark sort of shape) (NOT the Chinese algae eaters which would be to large and boisterous)
I’ll search more about it! Thank you!

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
Any other plecos besides bristlenose? I removed the common pleco. I would like a small and excellent algae cleaner, but the bristlenose just seems so ugly ?
I’ve had some luck with Rubbernose/Bulldog plecos eating algae. I had what was sold as a Blonde Bulldog pleco L444, and a Spotted Rubbernose L445. Both enjoyed feasting on algae growing in the tank. Especially on the rocks. They also ate everything else I normally fed like blood worms, flakes, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store