Arapaima advice

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
I know, I know, I'm sure hundreds of people ask this every day, but I am contemplating building a pond. Most likely coldwater or temperate, but I might consider tropical if I can meet the following requirements.

1. What is the minimum size (LxWxH) for a full-grown arapaima? (Fish will likely max out at 6-8ft)
2. For the pond/fish sizes seen above, what would you recommend for heating? I'm assuming I should be aiming somewhere between 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit, so what equipment should I use?
3. Is AquariumFishSale.com reputable? I am not worried about shipping cost as the arapaima qualifies for free shipping due to price.
4. What kind of covering would you recommend?
5. How to keep an arapaima safely with an outdoor cat?
6. In Virginia, would I need a permit for a captive-bred specimen?

Reactions: Poseidon2.0

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
So a general rule I heard is the tank should be 4 times the length of the fish and the width should be 1.5-2 the fish's length. I think that is a pretty good general rule for most fish, and I don't see why that would be different for an arapaima. So 30+ feet by 12+ feet would be considered a reasonably good size for them.

For heating, I think keeping the room at a good temperature using a heater would probably be cheaper and easier than heating up 10,000+ gallons of water with a heater.

I have no experience with aquariumfishsale.com, so I cannot comment on them.

For coverings, I'm not really sure what you could use as these are such powerful and large fish. I'm not sure how you would stop a 200+ pound fish from jumping through a lid/moving the lid. Others with similar large fish known for jumping will probably be able to provide better input on this as I never had large fish I had to worry about jumping.

To keep an arapaima safely with an outdoor cat, just stop the cat and arapaima from meeting each other. Keep the cat away from the arapaima by not letting the cat outside/in the room of the pond and by having a covering on the pond.

Lastly, I couldn't find a whole lot about needing a permit for a captive bred arapaima, so I THINK you should be fine, but consulting a professional in your area would be your best bet (like a game warden or similar authority figure). Others will likely have better input.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I know, I know, I'm sure hundreds of people ask this every day, but I am contemplating building a pond. Most likely coldwater or temperate, but I might consider tropical if I can meet the following requirements.

1. What is the minimum size (LxWxH) for a full-grown arapaima? (Fish will likely max out at 6-8ft)
2. For the pond/fish sizes seen above, what would you recommend for heating? I'm assuming I should be aiming somewhere between 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit, so what equipment should I use?
3. Is AquariumFishSale.com reputable? I am not worried about shipping cost as the arapaima qualifies for free shipping due to price.
4. What kind of covering would you recommend?
5. How to keep an arapaima safely with an outdoor cat?
6. In Virginia, would I need a permit for a captive-bred specimen?
the cat wont be a problem unless it drowns in your pond lmao

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
My 4.5ft arapaima is in a 16'x10'x4' tank. I think this is the minimum size for a full grown specimen as most max out about 6' unless u have them in a massive pond/tank of more than 10,000gal. I do have plans to build a 20'x12'x6' tank after I get an addition on my house though. I have a 2x4 constructed lid w greenhouse panels on mine. It weighs at least 250lbs. And raises on a pulley system. I keep the room 80 degrees and run a warm water constant trickle to the tank to keep it warm. Feed the cat to the paima.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I suppose a large arapaima could eat the cat or the cat could get to the arapaima if the arapaima is small.
ive heard of them relieving themselves in a fishtank once or twice.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
ive heard of them relieving themselves in a fishtank once or twice.
I suppose that is possible? Never heard of that, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. I'm not sure if that would be enough to actually harm the fish given the size of the pond and the filtration and everything.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I build a 40 foot long x 12 foot wide x 8 foot high (water depth) 3 side concrete & front side glass tank for an arapaima but decided at the last minute it was still too small. If you see adults, you will realise how much space they really need. Especially as they prefer company, sad keeping one on it's own.

I added an insulated roof and gang plank walkways along & accross the tank to solve the issue of heating and fish jumping. It looks like a shed from the outside with one side glass. Put a large swing door at each end to release heat & humidity over summer. Swim pool heat pump to heat over winter. Roof skylights with several slide down layers to provide natural light during the day. Custom UV installed for disease treatment (very high powered). With both end doors open I got the odd wild bird swoop through and sometimes bathing so I added secondary screen doors.

Recommend you add a quarantine pond/tank to the design if your serious as disease control on larger tanks is quite tricky.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Have a read of Luc's newer arapaima pond starting at page 53. He's very gracious with his knowledge & experience.

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store