Arapiama Gigas

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
the problem with your tank is that it is only 5' wide. It would make a nice growout for a few yrs maybe but thats it. If the tank isnt set in stone yet id do 30'x15'x5' at minimum to house one for life comfortably. Seams large but say they grow to 8' thats a comfortable amount of space to turn around in.

mike huntley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ipswich Suffolk
Sidrock;4204008; said:
I have a (noob) question:

Why isn't the pond mentioned in his signature enough for an (nearly 1 ft) Arapaima?

If the tank-mates are a problem, I think some of them can be given away as they are not really as "exotic" as an Arapaima.

At OP (Prankur):

I have a 25 ft diameter and 30-40 ft deep (old-style) well in my farmhouse (at Alibag). The minimum water volume (in the Summer) is close to 6000 gallons. (It has some plants growing in it and a lot of moss/algae for biological filtration.)

It is not part of any local water-body (so none of the inhabitants will harm local ecosystems). It is already housing a couple of 1ft albino walking catfish (Clarias batrachus) and a huge common pleco.

The care-takers feed the fish fresh seafood and the catfish seem to be thriving.

So, while I am sure you will run into a million wells like this between Bhopal and Bombay all of them might not have "caretakers". Just throwing this out there as an option (for the non-exotic fish in your pond) :)

Cheers,
Sid

(The name of the shop is Aakar. I have PMed you the shop details I found online. I plan to go there later today. I will confirm if the details I sent you are current.)
lets have some pics of the well please mate :popcorn:

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Joergemathew;4203246; said:
okay so the price is high in most of your opinion and as far as tank size is concerned i would be getting a new tank of dimensions 16'5'4' with in 2 months so i guess that that should do it
If you're going to upgrade, you may as well get at least a 16x16x12 because that would be about minimum for an adult arapaima. They can get to over 10 feet long, so your 16x5x4 would only be a temporary setup.

Sidrock;4204008; said:
I have a (noob) question:

Why isn't the pond mentioned in his signature enough for an (nearly 1 ft) Arapaima?
Because that 1 foot arapaima will be longer than his pond's width within just a few years, and will eventually be over twice the pond's width.

Sidrock

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Bombay, India
mike huntley;4205260; said:
lets have some pics of the well please mate :popcorn:
Definitely.

It looks like this, and came with the plot.

These are pretty common in Indian countryside.

Usually, only the albino catfish are visible from the top.

I will get the pics over the weekend.

Sid

skillzdatkillz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2006
somwhere
I dont think you should buy it. These fish are really not met to be kept in anything less then a public aquarium. There are only a select few who really should keep these fish, ie, johnptc among others.

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
Bderick67;4201557; said:
True, they are only fish and when ya kill them off you can always buy more, right?
thats a stupid mindset. fish are animals too.

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
I love how people just throw around tank sizes.

A 16' anything is huge. I don't think there's one wall in my entire house that is 16' long. And to heat an outdoor pond that big would cost a ton.

I honestly don't know how you could build a quality tank and filtration system for less than $10k at that size. When you're dropping that much coin, a $200 fish is an afterthought. $200 wouldn't even cover the plumbing for that tank.

Honestly, get the tank first, then buy the fish. You'll get more "oohs" and "aahs" from the build thread then you will of an arapiama in 55g.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
SpeshulEd;4205860; said:
I love how people just throw around tank sizes.

A 16' anything is huge. I don't think there's one wall in my entire house that is 16' long. And to heat an outdoor pond that big would cost a ton.

I honestly don't know how you could build a quality tank and filtration system for less than $10k at that size. When you're dropping that much coin, a $200 fish is an afterthought. $200 wouldn't even cover the plumbing for that tank.

Honestly, get the tank first, then buy the fish. You'll get more "oohs" and "aahs" from the build thread then you will of an arapiama in 55g.
Are you trying to say that a 16'x5' pond is enough for an arapaima? Just because it is 16' long doesn't mean it would be big enough to house any fish. Do you realize how big arapaimas get? The pond would have to be 10'+ wide just to allow an adult arapaima to turn around. Regardless of the price of the build or the fish itself, the point is that he doesn't have the means to house an arapaima.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store