Are Carp Tough or Sensitive to Handling?

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I was just wondering if carp are really tough fish, who don't stress out easily when handled; or if carp are really sensitive fish that need to be handled with care, and easily die? Because I have heard both many times.

I am going to guess that they aren't easily stressed out, because carp never need reviving after being caught; as soon as they touch water, they immediately take off. Maybe they are really sensitive to being injured, even though I've never had one start bleeding on me (although I've never put my hands in their gills or anything).

I've heard that koi (which are still the same species as common carp) are so sensitive that they're never supposed to be even lifted out of the water. However, I've also seen surviving carp with arrow scars in them...

(*Note: I am not referring to whether or not carp can survive poor water quality and low oxygen, obviously they can!)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Physically speaking, Carp are pretty tough fish. Not that you should, but most of them can be set down on dry ground, excessively handled, and kept out of the water for several minutes without sustaining any long term injury or illness. Again, I'd never recommend doing those things, but they're relatively durable animals in general. Koi are simply color variations of Common Carp so they're just as tough on the end of a line, most of what you're hearing about Koi is probably from guys who raise them for display/competition purposes and want their fish in the best condition that's achievably possible.

All that said, if you check out some videos of guys who fish for Carp Euro style, you'll notice that they take special care not to harm the fish anymore than putting a hook through them does. They put them on wet mats when out of water, weigh them in slings, and take a few pictures before slipping them back to the water. Most of us don't have all that equipment so when I'm Carp fishing I generally leave the fish in a rubber net in the water to let it recover and measure length until I'm ready for some pics, then keep it out of water for no more than 20 seconds before releasing.

Edit: and like any other fish, try to hold them by keeping one hand gripped around the caudal peduncle and the other hand loosely cradling the fish under the head without squeezing them around the heart or gills.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
With all the Grass Carp I have caught over the years, they are very sensitive and die easily if not cared for and quickly caught and released. They build up lactic acid very fast and easily, mainly the larger ones. Common carp don't seem to be affected by this as much, though I never caught a 47lb common before but I have been close to the 30lb range from the river.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Grass carp are fairly easily stressed,but common carp are pretty tough,I've seen individuals survive horrific injuries (such as missing an entire gill plate) I still handle both with care tho

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
I haven't caught too many carp, but when I was younger, I had a pole in overnight and foul hooked a carp in the tail. In the morning my line was all but run out. As soon as I reeled in the slack and the fish felt me reeling it was off to the races. I was using light tackle and it was a battle. The carp was landed and was very lively while it was weighed. It was released and swam off like it still had plenty of fight in it.

I know that many flathead fisherman prefer to use 8-10" carp as livebait, as they typically live longer than bluegill/shad after being hooked.

TL;DR - In my limited experience, I'd say they have good stamina.

Far2lively

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2012
London, England
Very hardy fish, but care and a landing mat are a must for the fishes safety and well being, carp care is applied to any bad wounds it may have suffered before catching, everything like weigh slings and carp cradles all setup and ready before the fish is out of the water, here’s on we had in France back in August, took the scales round to 58lb

E53822A9-F415-4DB8-849A-1889710F6B08.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store