Are fish flakes a good stable diet for a baby Bichir?

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
More polys, its always my solution,:D
Ah! I also keep African Cichlids so the 'overcrowding' tactic had occurred to me...

During feedings. Are the Teugs aggressive to each other? I think it will aggression will subside, but do what you think is the best option.
No, see i decided not to feed them last night because they had just been taken out and put back in with the new sand, i figured they'd need time to adjust. But I woke up this morning and literally saw the two teugs fighting. I fed them seperately with the troublemaker in a floating breeder, then released him back into the tank thinking that he was probably just starving. He then hung out just fine with my delhezi for hours, swam across the tank to my other teug and they both started being territorial, arched up, and started fighting and biting. So I intervened again, both are still intact, just some tail damage. On my way back to the store to get some credit....Fingers crossed I don't come back with more fish...I'm busy enough with these polys!

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
That sucks that the teugs were fighting. It is very stressful to watch fish fight each other. Particularly if it is only two going at it without outside intervention from other fish. Perhaps adding 2 more would help?Good luck Ryan029 Ryan029 !

Does anyone know if they are more likely to fight a member of the same species vs. a different species poly?

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Mostly its packing order, new poly might be more dominant than the old one. Samething for old poly might be dominant than the new one. My dabola endli is more dominant than most of my poly except tha faranah endli, but the faranah endli dont bother anyone.

Reactions: clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Mostly its packing order, new poly might be more dominant than the old one. Samething for old poly might be dominant than the new one. My dabola endli is more dominant than most of my poly except tha faranah endli, but the faranah endli dont bother anyone.
when you say packing order, do you mean piling order?
Does the dominant one go in the bottom of the pile and the other polys protect it?
Or does the dominant one go pile on top of other polys(like DMD123 DMD123 weeksii), initiate piling and go to the top of the pile?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think it was supposed to be pecking order as in hierarchy.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I think it was supposed to be pecking order as in hierarchy.
ohhhhhhhh. haha that makes a lot more sense. Although, the packing order question is still something that intrigues me :p Maybe I'm just really wanting to get 4-5 polys so they can pile.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
ohhhhhhhh. haha that makes a lot more sense. Although, the packing order question is still something that intrigues me :p Maybe I'm just really wanting to get 4-5 polys so they can pile.
Sorry spelling check, typing with one hand and other hand putting a baby to sleep, lol

I noticed on mine dominant poly goes under everyone else. Smallest on top and biggest in the bottom, when agains the glass, biggest while next to the glass and smallest near the middle of the tank.

Reactions: clm08k

Ryan029

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Colorado
Personally I think my teug was just being territorial. Their aggression did not seem to be correlated with feeding as far as I could tell. They fought when food was not present at all in the tank. In the long run it's probably for the best, my two poly's seem super happy in their tank and they have loads and loads of room to roam. My next experiment is gonna have to be seeing if I can get some water sprite to live in this tank...I'm still running carbon filtration on this tank but once I get that phased out I can get some actual living plants perhaps? Though they seem to like the plastic ones I've got floating around just fine. Anyways here's a video my wife got of them last night before dinner!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store