Are Fly river turtles illigal now?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I buy the extra-calcium sticks, mixed blend, and earthworm sticks. He still gets alot of fresh fish fillet pieces, raw shrimp, and fruits/vegetables. The sticks are mainly for mornings when I'm running around getting ready for work.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
A friend of mine wanted to sell me his, but the only tank big enough is my ray tank , and that's not going to happen.

So, is it illegal to sell a frt? Or is it u just can't get them anymore?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
It's not illegal to "sell" them if you previously owned one but it they're illegal to import them. Problem is, one can never be sure where it was obtained from which is why you can't start a FS or WTB thread on here for a fly river turtle.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Privately owned (retail end-user/customer) sales are legal. All countries where the FRT occurs have banned all trade in live hatchlings/turtles so any new arrivals are illegally smuggled in.

On this site all solicitation/sales of the species is not allowed.

VNCNT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
rand mcnally
another off topic question... what are your thoughts on substrate? i'm upgrading my tank and thinking about going bare bottom. he's currently in a tank with sand. he used to bury himself when scared or sleeping, but doesn't do that anymore... bare bottom seems easier to keep clean. more circulation/flow without sand getting into filters. going to keep a mesh bag full of crushed coral in the sump.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
another off topic question... what are your thoughts on substrate? i'm upgrading my tank and thinking about going bare bottom. he's currently in a tank with sand. he used to bury himself when scared or sleeping, but doesn't do that anymore... bare bottom seems easier to keep clean. more circulation/flow without sand getting into filters. going to keep a mesh bag full of crushed coral in the sump.
Sand is what they should be kept in! But in the end the owner usually picks what's good for them and not for the turtle.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I placed a large terracotta pot upside-down in the tank with FaRT. I cut a side hole out of it larger than his greatest dimension. He took his naps inside the pot. He also liked corralling minnows in the pot when he hunted the live bait shiners I kept in his tank at all times.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store