Are you a MFK Redneck?

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Guess I am not an Aquarium Redneck. My answers to all questions is no. What does that me me?
A normal fish keeper ;)

I have done not a lot, but some dumb stuff:

-waded into the saltwater to grab an especially cool looking driftwood which by then drifted out too far

-ruined shoes when I saw a cool piece of driftwood in the middle of a swamp

-And I have collected some stuff around my neighborhood. My newest find is a 56 gallon acrylic. I have collected things like buckets of sand, a few 5 gallon tanks, and a broken heater.

I should add I haven’t used any of the driftwood at any time!

Oh! And I stopped the car in the middle of Joshua Tree when I saw a dead tree that had dead branches which looked like spider legs.

I realize I haven’t been into fishkeeping long enough to say I am a redneck, but what does this make me?

Reactions: Ulu

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It’s a regional pride thing. I’ve lived all over and they call it different things in different places. Everybody’s got it.
I know about that.I just couldn't help tossing in a ballbusting post on the subject.
Btw,whats with the hanging egg shaped object with the plant growing out of it?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...I believe I do qualify. One of the mods calls me an "old hillbilly" but redneck fits...
Sure does...but why allow the mods to call you names? There are rules about that!

...I took over two entire bedrooms, a bathroom, and part of the living room of my parents house for my tanks and I also moved out of my parents house to have a dedicated fishroom. Does that count?...
Oh, yes...

...ive stopped traffic to pick up a piece of driftwood on the side of the road...I’ve ruined more than a couple pairs of shoes to bail off into a creek to collect rocks and wood...
That's even better...or is it worse?...than carrying around waders. Bravo!

jjohnwm jjohnwm I have egg crate lids, Diy filter "Upgrades", bare 2x4 stands that were built for strength not looks. oh and I made this monstrosity...
Can't see the pics, but it's the thought that counts. Honorary Redneck, for sure...

Jexnell Jexnell I guess you're just too sophisticated for all us Bubbas. Loosen the necktie, roll up your sleeves, grab some tools and start improvising! :)

Last edited:

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I know about that.I just couldn't help tossing in a ballbusting post on the subject.
Btw,whats with the hanging egg shaped object with the plant growing out of it?
It’s a ceramic planter my wife hung from the awning overhead.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It’s a ceramic planter my wife hung from the awning overhead.
Oh....I thought it was some integral part of your DIY filtration setup.

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Hello; I believe I do qualify. One of the mods calls me an "old hillbilly" but redneck fits. May I add to the list numerous homemade things such a tank covers. I also have some light hoods from which I have removed the old light hardware and replaced it with fittings from a hardware store.
I forgot about the lights. All my aquarium lamps are made from plastic rain gutters and LEDs from Lowe’s.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . I’ve been nearly thrown out of the house by the wifey for using our oven to heat acrylic to form it. . . .
I made side overs for my Kawasaki like that. ;-)

I remember a very angry wife, after I brought the big router indoors to mod my big stand. It took a while to clean up all the sawdust from making 4” hole in a 2” board.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I always have an eye open for any individual SIMN I may find, as I know it will save me sometime soon or at any time.
SIMN = Stuff I May Need.
I call that SIDKINUISI..."Stuff I Didn't Know I Needed Until I Saw It".

My wife calls it CYDN..."Crap You Don't Need".

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
.........or........"Hobbyists, Or Aquarists, Really Dig Endless Rubbish Supplies.

HOARDERS, i'm definitely a hoarder, and it seems i'm in good company. Lol. I don't know about you jjohnwm jjohnwm but I prefer "hoarder" to redneck. When I read the word redneck I always think of the utterly brilliant character from The Simpsons......Cletus. Now Cletus is a true redneck, lol.

download.png

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store