Are you a MFK Redneck?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have collected all my tanks from CL, side of the road and the wafishbox forum. Even a couple of unusable acrylic tanks that were repurposed into lids. The wife tried to throw out a few small pieces that she thought were garbage. She now understands not to touch my acrylic :grinyes:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The wife tried to throw out a few small pieces that she thought were garbage.
The sad thing is, most of the stuff we squirrel away believing that, in time, will come to good use, IS GARBAGE, lol.

And in any case, they're just as bad as us. We collect fish stuff, they collect handbags and shoes, lol.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...HOARDERS, i'm definitely a hoarder, and it seems i'm in good company. Lol. I don't know about you jjohnwm jjohnwm but I prefer "hoarder" to redneck. When I read the word redneck I always think of the utterly brilliant character from The Simpsons......Cletus. Now Cletus is a true redneck, lol.

View attachment 1458148
Cletus may or may not be a true redneck; the term originally referred to people like farmers who did hard work outdoors and got sunburned while doing so. It shouldn't be a derogative term, but over time it has come to be used that way, mostly by folks who don't actually do physical work. Back when I did electrical maintenance/construction work in downtown Toronto, I met a strange class of people who bragged about the fact that they never had to go outdoors and didn't even own such barbaric implements as raingear, rubber boots, fishing rods and all the other things that make the outdoors so much fun; to them, I was the "redneck's redneck"! :)

...The sad thing is, most of the stuff we squirrel away believing that, in time, will come to good use, IS GARBAGE, lol...
It's only garbage if you really never use it...but if you ever find a use for even some pieces of it, then keeping it is not a foolish idea as long as you have the space for it. And...the chance to smirk at your wife and say "I told you so!" when the retrieval of some priceless piece of treasure/junk from the barn or storage shed allows the completion of some project or repair...is priceless! :)

• Love
Reactions: Matteus

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
One thing that I simply have a difficult time throwing out is any piece of genuine hardwood bigger than a piece of toast.

I do random woodworking, and though I’m no trained woodworker, I have done some very nice things in our house from wood that would have been discarded. My boat, as well, sports items of genuine mahogany maple, poplar and oak, that really weren’t big enough for anything more than what I used them.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
One thing that I simply have a difficult time throwing out is any piece of genuine hardwood bigger than a piece of toast.

I do random woodworking, and though I’m no trained woodworker, I have done some very nice things in our house from wood that would have been discarded. My boat, as well, sports items of genuine mahogany maple, poplar and oak, that really weren’t big enough for anything more than what I used them.
Very true! If you use it, then it's not junk...and if you keep it, that gives you an incentive to find a way to use it.

It's a vicious cycle. :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK

It's a genuine affliction Ulu, lol. I love nothing more than having a tin bin fire out the back on a Friday or Saturday night. But sometimes I'll have a piece of wood in my hand ready to throw into the flames and I can't let it go. I'll look at it this way and that way. What could I do with this? Would this come in handy for something? Sometimes I'll put pieces back in the shed with the rest of my 'rescued' wood.

You've heard of these fish rescue places? I'm like a wood rescue place, lol.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Building a nice fire is not wasting wood...you're still using it and enjoying it. :)
Yeah but crying your eyes out whilst it's burning isn't much fun, lol. I swear blind some of my firewood sends out subliminal messages to me.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah but crying your eyes out whilst it's burning isn't much fun, lol. I swear blind some of my firewood sends out subliminal messages to me.
Well...if that's true...if you are receiving messages from wood...

... :nilly: BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store