Arowana does not want to eat

Jay1160

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
I have 19 inch arowana. He was eating Hikari pellets for 3 months straight. Then he just stopped. I would feed him once a day between 18-20 pellets. He fasted for about 10 days then refuses to eat pellets. I tried shrimp, he would eat only 1, then the next day he wouldn’t. I tried crickets, he ate 2 and then he would ignore it. I tried dried krill, ate one, then doesn’t eat. Is there something wrong with him? He still poops. Colors change with what he eats. They are all thick so I don’t think there’s a parasite. May I please get some assistance?

He’s in a 6ft, 180 gallon tank by himself. The water parameters:
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - ~2.0 ppm
Water temp: 80f
Filter is a FX6 with 2.3lbs of biomax media
One, twin wave maker
One 500 watt heater

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hi!
I may be out of line. I hope not, so don't think I 'm being a wiseacre. I am very new to the fishkeeping venue, but the big thing I've seen that everyone can agree on is providing enough space for our fish. That's why I'll be putting up a 300G stock tank for my goldfish. My 55G is 4 feet, so 2 more for a 19" fish doesn't seem that much .
I know things are rough right now, but from what your post says, you're willing to provide the best for your Arowana. (I'd love to see a picture! Just read a book about the world's most coveted fish.) I know it's just one fish, but have you considered a bigger tank?
Any fish that's 19" long may just need more space. Think of it like this: he's 1 foot & 7 inches long. He needs over 3 feet on any side (or more) just to turn around. I know people build tanks & buy them used sometimes. I think I've seen an Arowana (1) in a 350 or a 700G tank & I don't think it's 19". Futhermore, all the parameters & equipment is great.
They're beautiful living dinosaurs! They are indeed monster fish, too! Please back me up on the Forum guys: this is what ALL of you taught me. Do what's best & right for your fish. You can't go wrong!?
LovePeaceFish?✌?

Jay1160

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hi!
I may be out of line. I hope not, so don't think I 'm being a wiseacre. I am very new to the fishkeeping venue, but the big thing I've seen that everyone can agree on is providing enough space for our fish. That's why I'll be putting up a 300G stock tank for my goldfish. My 55G is 4 feet, so 2 more for a 19" fish doesn't seem that much .
I know things are rough right now, but from what your post says, you're willing to provide the best for your Arowana. (I'd love to see a picture! Just read a book about the world's most coveted fish.) I know it's just one fish, but have you considered a bigger tank?
Any fish that's 19" long may just need more space. Think of it like this: he's 1 foot & 7 inches long. He needs over 3 feet on any side (or more) just to turn around. I know people build tanks & buy them used sometimes. I think I've seen an Arowana (1) in a 350 or a 700G tank & I don't think it's 19". Futhermore, all the parameters & equipment is great.
They're beautiful living dinosaurs! They are indeed monster fish, too! Please back me up on the Forum guys: this is what ALL of you taught me. Do what's best & right for your fish. You can't go wrong!?
LovePeaceFish?✌?
Hello, thank you for your input. It maybe the case. I’ll keep my eye out for a larger tank. I just hope his appetite comes back soon. I was so used to him eating a lot with no issues. ?

Jay1160

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
Don't feed for a couple of days. Not unusual for a Silver Arowana to go through a not eating spell.
Hello, thank you for your reply. Question, how will I know when to feed him. I dropped one shrimp yesterday evening. I though he ate it, then when I checked in the morning, I found that it has sunken behind the drift wood. ?

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hello, thank you for your input. It maybe the case. I’ll keep my eye out for a larger tank. I just hope his appetite comes back soon. I was so used to him eating a lot with no issues. ?
Try some thawed broccoli florets; my fish love it & it seems to help them eliminate very well (which is good for every living thing). My goldfish seem to enjoy it & it definitely is a great to them. Most folks would say mine are spoiled on 2 fronts: their food variety & interaction with me.
My fish have their veggies, pellets, & frozen shrimp and tilapia! I vary their diet because dry flakes are depressing to ME! They deserve quality good just like a cichlids does. Do you just pop the raw shrimp in? Even with tongs, mine insist on nibbling at my fingertips (yes, have to have very clean hands).
If he isn't t usually interactive, foster that type behaviour to see if he just wants to see YOU more. As a nurse, that's what I'd try next. Hand feed that fine young fish some shrimp: he may very well like it! Just mind the fingers?
Respectfully
LovePeaceFish?✌?

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hi Jay!
How's Mr. Arowana (does he have a name)? If not give him one; that may also help. I hope he has started a turn around towards better. I just wanted to check on him. The folks here will tell you, I'm empathetic to a fault.
But this back: no matter what.
LovePeaceFish
Blessings & good tidings from the Fishy Five/the Goldfish Posse
?✌?

Reactions: Jay1160

Jay1160

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hi Jay!
How's Mr. Arowana (does he have a name)? If not give him one; that may also help. I hope he has started a turn around towards better. I just wanted to check on him. The folks here will tell you, I'm empathetic to a fault.
But this back: no matter what.
LovePeaceFish
Blessings & good tidings from the Fishy Five/the Goldfish Posse
?✌?
Hello! So his name is Shybe. He’s still not eating. ? I took your advice and started talking, waving, smiling and winking at him. He just stares at me. But he stays on one side of the tank. Today I wanted treat him with 5 feeder fish to allow him to activate his hunting tactics. But it’s been 5 hours since I put them in and it almost looks like he befriended all of them. I don’t know what else to do. The water parameter is all still great too. ?

Flowerhorn Gal_AL

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hey Jay:
I'm sorry about Shybe; tell him a lady from Alabama's thinking about him. It's rarely mentioned, but what about breeding? When it comes to many fish, they're kept in a solitary situation. I know that's due to aggression, however IMHO it seems rather a bleak & lonely existence.
You say it seems though he befriended the feeder fish(goldfish I imagine). Maybe he's lonely for fish companionship. Doesn't mean you are not good enough, just wants someone else in there! It's morning now, so he may have eaten them; but I just don't think so. (I'd love to see him. Could you shoot video with phone? Some say I'm kind of an animal whisperer, so I might pick up on something.)
Only thing I know about Arowanna breeding/mating behaviours is that they say it doesn't usually work in captivity. Maybe he just wants a "lady fish". Hi & look up the Ha Y N fishkeeper on YT, etc. He rescued a huge Oscar in a 10G tank (I know!) & he had a tank friend: a much smaller Gourami, 1/20th the size of the Oscar. They had been lifetime tank mates!
I know Joey Mullen has a huge predator tank with almost all "aggressive" fish & it has two or three Arowanna in it. He's had a lot of predatory fish success.
I've got a new theory: it involves all fish, but " aggressive " ones in particular. People assume all the aggression they observe is the breed (even dogs, cats, & like sharks & pirannhas). Have you seen the conditions most fish live in before we give them a home? Unless you hatch a fish from egg, how do you know what they've experienced?
If I think of anything else, I'll pop back in. Look for a known lady Arowana in the interim. And good luck.
LovePeaceFish ?✌?

Jay1160

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hey Jay:
I'm sorry about Shybe; tell him a lady from Alabama's thinking about him. It's rarely mentioned, but what about breeding? When it comes to many fish, they're kept in a solitary situation. I know that's due to aggression, however IMHO it seems rather a bleak & lonely existence.
You say it seems though he befriended the feeder fish(goldfish I imagine). Maybe he's lonely for fish companionship. Doesn't mean you are not good enough, just wants someone else in there! It's morning now, so he may have eaten them; but I just don't think so. (I'd love to see him. Could you shoot video with phone? Some say I'm kind of an animal whisperer, so I might pick up on something.)
Only thing I know about Arowanna breeding/mating behaviours is that they say it doesn't usually work in captivity. Maybe he just wants a "lady fish". Hi & look up the Ha Y N fishkeeper on YT, etc. He rescued a huge Oscar in a 10G tank (I know!) & he had a tank friend: a much smaller Gourami, 1/20th the size of the Oscar. They had been lifetime tank mates!
I know Joey Mullen has a huge predator tank with almost all "aggressive" fish & it has two or three Arowanna in it. He's had a lot of predatory fish success.
I've got a new theory: it involves all fish, but " aggressive " ones in particular. People assume all the aggression they observe is the breed (even dogs, cats, & like sharks & pirannhas). Have you seen the conditions most fish live in before we give them a home? Unless you hatch a fish from egg, how do you know what they've experienced?
If I think of anything else, I'll pop back in. Look for a known lady Arowana in the interim. And good luck.
LovePeaceFish ?✌?

Hey, here's a video of him. So I lost 2. Once got sucked up the filter and the other one got stuck behind the wave maker. :(
He still hasn't eaten anything. I'm still concerned about him.

Reactions: Flowerhorn Gal_AL
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store