Arowana tank: Gallons vs. Dimensions.

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
STONEDFISH said:
Only 2 feet high? Don't these guys like to jump out of tanks? I guess it wouldn't matter how tall it was, it could still get out if it wants to.
all arowana tank need a heavy cover. As they are well known jumpers. even if you get like a 5feet high tank, its no use, coz they are top tank dwellers so it makes not much diff if it is 2 fee or 5feet height, they still will jump.
for mine, i use glass as covers.

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/zhuangsw/

you can see a picture of my aro tank under the folder rainbow rtg.

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
Yeah I have three in a 6x2x2 tank and its going okay, want a bigger one. I was thinking about building a screen enclosure around my tank and over it, and hanging the lights over that. THat way the aro can have a few feet to jump and then he hits a soft screen. Anybody got any thoughts/comments on that one.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
The bigger the better!

Turning space for monster fish is the most important, especially Aros, Rays and Puffers!

4x2x2? Are you crazy! Aros are suppose to get 4'.. However, 'in captivity' they only get 36"? Maybe that because people are trying to stuff them into 120s!

Go with something that is like 8x3x 18".. The shorter you make it, the less pressure on the sides, which will make for a stronger tank.. Unless you want to opt for the extra height and gallonage! Also, if you give Arowana enough space to be comfortable, they are less likely to jump out.. Cramp them, and they wan't out! Duh!

Good idea Alaska Jammin.. I saw someone who designed a 'shock' system with loaded springs so that the canopy would actually 'flex' when the aros tried to jump.. Much nicer then hitting a hard surface.. Careful with what kind of mesh/material you use, it can hurt the fish, especially if it has bad chems on it..

RhomBeusBoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Gettin' Crunked
yo, I wouldnt go over 2 foot tall...cause its like this..you will have to reinforce it and that'll get spendy real quick, thats fo sho...so if you have a tank that's like 8 foot long 3 foot wide and about 20-24 inch tal that would be around 330-360g I think..so basically that fish is gonna get pretty big, yo..so like with that big a tank...and if its real strong like you could add a dat a ray or two and a pbass...that would be tight...a bichir might be cool to mix it up with also cuz you'd have some homies that would be usin the other levels of the tank.....

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
DeLgAdO said:
ITS AN EXAMPLE!!! GEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!!! :hitting:
I still want that ank, I could force guppies to EVOLVE in that tank.

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
How long could an arowana live in a 5 gallon hex? No, I'm not serious.
Anyways, So 30 inches wide, 48 inches long, and 24 inches high will be good to keep one Silver in. Can that be kept on the second floor? That will weigh a lot.
Then I'll see what else can live with the Arowana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store