Arowana tank size and set up

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Hi all. Iv purchased a Arowana it’s only 5” at the moment and I’m building a tank for it. The tank is going to be specifically for the Arowana in mind so what would be the ideal or minimum size it would need? I’m thinking 60”L x 42”W x 30”H but don’t want to over kill if it can be smaller in width or needs it taller. Plus any substrate, decor, lighting, filtration or set up this would prefer, plus I have a few fish in mind that I would like to incorporate but what would be ideal mates for a Arowana?

Any information would be greatly appreciated and I’ll keep you posted on the build and set up once started.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What arowana? There are tank sizes for specific species in the stickys in the aro section.
Minimum 300g 7lx3wx2t for all but silver which will need larger imo.
Floating plant cover is always a good idea and covering the back and sides is a good idea too, any substrate will do, sand is preferred.
Large silver dollars and clown loach make nice tank mates unless it's a Jardini or lei which will likely kill all tank mates in a home aquarium.

Reactions: tlindsey and Jayoco

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
Really depends on the aro, as justarn said minimum 7lx3wx2h is the minimum but you could probably getaway with 30” width for a jardini, as for silvers I would say 8lx4wx2h would be the ideal size but taller would be better as well

Reactions: tlindsey and Jayoco

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
It’s a silver. Was hoping I didn’t have to go bigger might have to add supports in the floor joist to take the weight. The measurements I gave would do approx 320 g would this still not be adequate for it?

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
How long is the growth rate on a silver Arowana if I build it to my specs given would I get maybe a year or two until it reaches peak? Then build another it’s Not something I want to do but the house I’m in I want two move from next year in to something bigger.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
He could live in that tank until he is about 15-16 inches maximum as the length is just not long enough but there is no point in building a tank then building another, just build the tank you want to permenantly house him in

Reactions: tlindsey

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
I totally agree it’s the most sensible thing to do. I’ll just have to find another room for it to go. Because that size would have worked perfect where I wanted it. To heat a tank at that size how many heaters and what wattage would I need. The biggest tank iv had is 150g so I’m kinda in new territory hence all the questions.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
5' long by 3.5' wide is an odd shape, personally if he is a baby I would be getting a 180g until you move next year, if you feed sparingly he will be around 18" and you can build the forever home. Failing that you could always buy a kiddy pool if you have space to set one up as a temporary home.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I run 1 500w heater on my 300g and it's on most of the time to keep it at 27deg my house is usually around 18-20deg.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store