Arowana tank size and set up

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
I was going to do that but was advised against it as he will out grow in 5 months which is a pointless investment. I actually didn’t give the pool a thought tho suppose it’s a good fall back plan if it did out grow a 180 tank. The tank build and set up of a forever home isn’t something I want to rush so I’ll probably go ahead with the 180 gives me time to make sure everything is perfect without the pressure.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
2' in a year is possible but more average is 1-1.5" per month. How big is he?

Reactions: tlindsey and Jayoco

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Right now it’s only 5”. So 1.5 a month I should be ok to get a 190g I’ll start looking in to getting one so when I’m home in two weeks I can hopefully have it set up then.

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
Another thing I found is that he has a black spot on his back/head region any ideas what this could be or even possible that a scale could be damaged iv never seen it before on any fish An I didn’t notice it before I’ll try to get my wife to send me a picture to post here.

nismob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2018
I also looked for advise when I was getting my first flowerhorn and then the Asian Aro. A lot of people recommended tank sizes way out of my reach and they are all overkill.

I completely understand the idea that you want to have your fish to grow to its maximum potential and size but think about it, this is a hobby. You want to have fun with your fish and you don’t want to be its slave for its entire life. Imagine doing 25% water change per week and monthly maintenance on a 300G tank. That’s a lot of work to do.

The smaller the tank, the less work that you have to do. I don’t have Silver Aro, but my Asian Aro is 18” and he’s happy with his 60x24x16” tank. He has 7 parrot tank mates. Tank is cycled so Ammo and Nitrite are both 0, Nitrates don’t do much. Weekly water change is still insane since I don’t add tap water straight to the tank. I just can’t imagine doing water change on a 180G tank, let’s alone 300G.

IMO, 6x2x2ft tank (180Gal) or even 6x2x1.5ft is big enough for Silver Aro. Remember, Aro just need the swimming space. They don’t dive a lot. I believe that shallow tanks are better for Silver Aro since they tend to develop drop eyes. Shallow tanks will help in that regard since the fish don’t have to look down much; however, drop eyes are from the genes but shallow tanks will help to some degree. Filtration is very important. IMO, Filtration is the one that you want to overkill, not the tank size. Bare bottom is the best since weekly maintenance includes vacuuming the bottom. You don’t want to go spot by spot on a big tank if you have gravels or rocks on the bottom. Sand will be fine. Some tank decors will be fine.

Just get the fish a reasonably big tank which you think you are able to do maintenance on it weekly and monthly. Know your limit. Don’t push it. There’s nothing wrong with asking but over the year, I learn that when it comes to tank sizes, people always recommend tank sizes bigger than what you really need and sometimes, it’s overkill. Just cycle the tank, put the fish in and enjoy.

Reactions: Jayoco

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What a load of bs, you clearly have no idea how to take care of fish properly.
Sorry but you are talking rubbish, have you ever actually seen a full grow Silver arowana?
It will live a short miserable life in a 135g tank, I do 80% WC on my 300, 100, 35 and 20g tanks weekly it takes 2.5hrs....
They will hit 3ft in the aquarium and be 8- inches tall and 3" thick.
You don't just buy fish if you can't house them.
Silvers need 8*4 minimum, and that's tight.

Screenshot_20180122-204439.png

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
To put an end to this thread my fish got white spot and died before I could get home I only had him a little over a week so guessing he may have already had it. Once it started to show he was gone two days later as well as the other fish over a few days later. I don’t understand why it happened so quick all water test came back good it was a cycled tank and the other fish was fine before. I blame meself for buying and leaving for work wife blames herself thinking she done something maybe even the commotion of new tank then removing fish and causing stress. I’ll never know but I will be getting a new one when I’m not working away from home and will have a min 150 gal for it to go into until he grows out of it. I don’t need anyone explaining how or why I’m a little sad my son cried iv looked up on everything but hey next time I’m going to look up fish sellers before I purchase.

Jayoco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2018
Calgary
As pleasing as it is too se your thread nismob about enjoy the fish and it’s a hobbie. I do agree with justarn about they need minimum size tanks. It seems a little big but understandably it needs too. Again thanks everyone for your reply’s.

nismob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2018
Sorry for your loss. That sounds like an ich outbreak and without proper and instant treatment, ich will be lethal.

justarn justarn

Thanks for your feedback. It’s impressive when you are able to do such a large water change to all of those tanks within 2.5hrs. Do you add tap water straight to the tanks and add water conditioner such as Prime? I stick to the good old way, aged water, and it takes very long time to get it done. My water has Chloramine which is harder to deal with than Chlorine.

Reactions: justarn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store