Asian Arowana suddenly swimming very different - back broken?

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hi guys,

For the last three days (this is the third day) my highback golden has had a complete turn around in behavior. I have had him for a few weeks, and he hasn't shown skittish behavior, always cruising around the surface of the aquarium, eating well.

He very abruptly stopped eating and swims in an odd fashion (please see videos and pictures below). His tail and back half seems to droop when he is swimming, and if he isn't swimming, his back half literally sinks and he pulls himself back up.
Since he has started swimming in this manner, he has all of sudden started making the occasion frantic dash across the tank. Like he seems to be panicking over something.
I suspect he may have swum really hard into the glass and damaged his back?
What do you guys think?
Has something like this happened to anyone here before? If so what did you do.
Asian arowana back.jpgasian arowana.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys,

For the last three days (this is the third day) my highback golden has had a complete turn around in behavior. I have had him for a few weeks, and he hasn't shown skittish behavior, always cruising around the surface of the aquarium, eating well.

He very abruptly stopped eating and swims in an odd fashion (please see videos and pictures below). His tail and back half seems to droop when he is swimming, and if he isn't swimming, his back half literally sinks and he pulls himself back up.
Since he has started swimming in this manner, he has all of sudden started making the occasion frantic dash across the tank. Like he seems to be panicking over something.
I suspect he may have swum really hard into the glass and damaged his back?
What do you guys think?
Has something like this happened to anyone here before? If so what did you do.
View attachment 1412431View attachment 1412432
Yes looks like it injured its back probably from jumping.

Reactions: kno4te

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Yes looks like it injured its back probably from jumping.
:( … so we all know aros jump, and I am not the first person this has happened to. Is this something that will come right with time? Will he heal? He still seems to have some function in his tail, even if it is dropping.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Probably won’t recover. I’d suggest putting it down.

Reactions: mattybecks

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
It would most likely help if you can put it in another tank with lower water. Mostly damaged it's back. I think it could recover but will take time.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Thank you for the advice and feedback everyone.
Unfortunately I don't have another tank. I will see how he is tomorrow, if there is any improvement, or if it only seems worse I may have to take Kno4te's advice :(

IsaacHZJ

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2016
How is the aro now? That happened to me once after overfeeding my aro. It didn’t dart around the tank occasionally like yours but it’s Swimming posture was exactly the same. It recovered on its own after a few days without any treatment.

Reactions: mattybecks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store