Assassin snails in a canister filter

KahReyZee LeiDee

Feeder Fish
Oct 6, 2018
Was wondering if it would be "kosher" to put assassin snails in a canister filter. I have a spotted congo with a uppity attitude. If I throw in a few snails for him and he deems them to small, he won't eat them. Now I have 2 canister filters littered with ramshorns, bladder snails and more eggs than in a horror sci-fi movie. The one's I can grab I throw in my snail tank but kinnda don't want them in his tank and especially in his filters. Was thinking maybe I should have one assassin snail per filter, maybe even a 1/4 cuttle bone for it to play with too. Didn't know if it would just die or if anyone else has done it. Just didn't want to buy them, throw them in the bottom and end up killing them.
Have a marineland and junky sunsun if it helps.
Thanks !

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Good question but I don't know how well they would survive in a canister filter. I do know pest snails don't have a problem living in canister filters. I used to just pick out the pest snails and put them is a tank to feed the assassin snails and it worked well.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Ramshorn snails shells are fairly brittle, and if they get caught in the impeller chamber, the spinning usually crushes them pretty quickly.
Snails like Malay cone snails, and "maybe" assassin snails shell are a bit tougher, so if wedged in just the right way might do some damage causing you to need a new impeller, the volute or worse.
Although the shot below was not due to a snail, it was just a small chunk of something.

There is also the chance that it won't break anything outright, but instead just cause wobble, which caused a figure 8 to be worn in the housing, of the pump below, making it useless.

KahReyZee LeiDee

Feeder Fish
Oct 6, 2018
Ramshorn snails shells are fairly brittle, and if they get caught in the impeller chamber, the spinning usually crushes them pretty quickly.
Snails like Malay cone snails, and "maybe" assassin snails shell are a bit tougher, so if wedged in just the right way might do some damage causing you to need a new impeller, the volute or worse.
Although the shot below was not due to a snail, it was just a small chunk of something.

There is also the chance that it won't break anything outright, but instead just cause wobble, which caused a figure 8 to be worn in the housing, of the pump below, making it useless.
Thank you! Did not even cross my mind. Sooo thats out.

KahReyZee LeiDee

Feeder Fish
Oct 6, 2018
Good question but I don't know how well they would survive in a canister filter. I do know pest snails don't have a problem living in canister filters. I used to just pick out the pest snails and put them is a tank to feed the assassin snails and it worked well.
I typically do but the babies and eggs are so many and so tiny and after a hour of plucking per filter I rinse the media, put it back together and pretend I got them all. Maybe a canister friendly snail trap?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store